anyone fancy piling in?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Got one of the usual 'pay road tax' comments on my bad cycle lane video today... Anyone fancy sharpening their wit on the guy?;)

View: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9onKKAnzhOU

I have pointed out that I'm in fact pointing out that the facilities I show are a waste of good money, something the poor chap didn't quite work out for himself...

Done!

Maz

Guru
Can't see the vid yet...Any chance this fella recognised you from last night's TV appearance? Trying to wind you up?

It's confirmed, he's a troll. He's making up(or at least attempting to make up) comments to try and stir people up. 'Fox shooting' and 'stupid jock fivers' ;)

I wouldn't waste any more time on him (except for fun of course!;))

Come on over to some of my youtube videos if you want to see some better quality abusers! :angry:;)

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
RichK said:
Ah, the old, old 'you don't pay road tax' comment. Here's a random thought on that one (some figures quoted are open to question, but you get the idea):

1. There are approximately 33 million licensed vehicles in UK (source Office of National Statistics). Also 43% of people aged over 5 own a bicycle (source Department of Transport). (Roughly) that's around 20 million bicycles.

2. Vehicle Excise Duty for zero emission vehicles is currently £0. So a bicycle will cost £0.

3. Guestimating, it costs around £10 in admin/overhead costs for the DfT to issue a disk, even one that's not being charged for (that's even with modern computer systems). That's got to be paid for from somewhere. So the costs for issuing the disks for bicycles will have to be recouped by increasing the cost to other licensed vehicles. That'll put the cost up by about £6 each.

So, Mr Car Driver (which includes me) - if you want me to 'pay road tax' on my bicycle - it's going to cost you £6 a year for each of your vehicles to pay for it.

Do you still want me to have one? No, thought not.

Nice!;)

magnatom said:
It's confirmed, he's a troll. He's making up(or at least attempting to make up) comments to try and stir people up. 'Fox shooting' and 'stupid jock fivers' ;)

I wouldn't waste any more time on him (except for fun of course!;))

Come on over to some of my youtube videos if you want to see some better quality abusers! :angry:;)

I thought the "jock" comment was aimed at me then I realised it was for your benefit. Then it occured to me, how the hell would he know I was Scottish!!

Eat MY Dust said:
I thought the "jock" comment was aimed at me then I realised it was for your benefit. Then it occured to me, how the hell would he know I was Scottish!!

Ah,

Through a process of elimination I think I've just worked out your youtube persona!

His windups were pretty poor. A very easy troll to deal with! ;)

Tynan

Veteran
I used to hitch a lot and used to spend a fair amount of time gassing with HGV drivers, even them they paid over £1,000 in road tax and they considered all other road users should give way because they paid so little tax

used to be a laugh, the roads look very different from up there, the time it takes them to get to speed and for that matter slow down, they read the road very well indeed

threefingerjoe

Über Member
We get that same, "You don't pay taxes" argument over here, too. I don't know your situation, but over here, road taxes (lisense, fuel, etc) don't BEGIN to pay for the roads. Road building and maintenance is supplemented from all other taxes, such as sales tax, income tax, etc. Considering the little damage that a bicycle does to a road (compared to heavier vehicles) and the little road space actually required for the bicycle, I make the argument that cyclists pay disproportionately HIGHER taxes than motor vehicles.

Joe

Top Bottom