Anyone fancy these DIY flipflop pedals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Rather ingenious option for summer cycling:

Screenshot_20231209-103753.png

https://bikepacking.com/news/flip-flop-pedal-diy/

Drago

Legendary Member
A solution looking for a problem.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Wouldn't necessarily agree with that. You might just some air around your feet in hot weather. The main problem is what do you do when you want to dismount and you don't have any walking shoes, you'd have to carry some.

Drago

Legendary Member
I have cycled in flip flops, and for bimbling about they're fine. If you wanted to hoon or do great distance you wouldn't wear flip flops anyway. Even the mighty Schwarzenegger, a big advocate of utility cycling, has been seen riding in them.

So bearing all that in mind, and that, as you say, you'd have to carry footwear with you anyway, what it the point?

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
What about the tan lines
Like this you mean? Guess I'll just have to live with it.
PXL_20231209_113621163.jpg

For info we don't call them flipflops down here but Challeywatties.

Last edited:

EckyH

There might be a reason for stiff soles of cycling shoes.
Once upon a time... about thirty years ago, before clipless pedals became standard, I tried to do light mountain biking with outdoor shoes with a relatively stiff sole. After a few weeks my foot archs ached so much that I had to pause cycling.

For a very short and easy ride I'd judge the flipflop pedal as a funny hack, but for anything else I can only recommend to wear good cycling shoes as consideration for healthy feet.

E.

Top Bottom