Anyone going gravel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wonderloaf

Veteran
Ribble CGR Ti…
Titanium, within budget (£2.3k for a 105 build), titanium, all the fittings you want, and titanium.
Or a Planet X Tempest. Also Ti. Rather cheaper, as to whether it's lower spec, quality of after-sales…pass.

Stick road rubber on one of these and they go as quickly as the skinny-tyred stuff…
I'll second the Ribble as I've got one, expensive but worth it as it has really expanded my potential ride routes as I can now explore all but the roughest off road tracks.
As @StuAff says all the fittings you could want for mudguards, etc. (unless you want that third bottle cage under the downtube), ability to fit big tyres (I've got 40mm's on mine, could go even bigger without mudguards or with 650 wheels), and titanium to boot which gives a very comfy ride on the road.
Weight wise it's a bit heavier than my PX Pro carbon road bike and hills are a bit harder but think the benefits in being able to off road and the comfort factor outweigh this, I'll just have to get fitter (or fit a larger cassette!). My average speed on the Ribble is only 1 mph or so slower than the carbon, but who cares when you're having so much fun!
Saying that I was looking at the PX Ti bikes recently and the only real differences I could see compared to the Ribble is that they have external cabling and the Ribble has internal. Also noticed that the PX Tempest Ti in Ultegra form has the RX800 rear derailleur with the clutch mechanism so no chain slap when going over the rough stuff, a real benefit in my eyes and my next upgrade (when I'm allowed that is).
I think if I was looking for a Ti bike I would seriously consider the PX range, my carbon is a PX Pro carbon and I've had no issues at all with it or the service from PX, so would expect the same for a Ti bike.

kalniel

Over three years ago I got a gravel/adventure bike - it was actually my first proper bike for decades so I wanted something a bit more comfortable/tough than a pure road bike and also wanted to go on gravel cycleways around me.

I got a Fuji Tread 1.3, and it's been a terrific bargain (~£500). I take it almost everywhere (and I have a dedicated hardtail now for the proper off-road stuff), and it's a super comfy commute as well.

The only n+1 gap that's calling is a hardcore lightweight road machine, since the Tread is a little on the beefy side (~11kg), which I appreciate for it's strength and to be honest, weight just means I get fitter.

Top Bottom