anyone going to aldi tomorrow?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That's right. No credit cards, but debit cards are fine.

And you might want to learn some Polish for when you get to the checkout.

on my last visit to the Southampton store as i approached the tills the girls on the checkout were talking and it felt like being in France at a Lidl. i thought here we go and prepared standard Brit abroad talk - slowly and loudly they're sure to understand then. when she turned and spoke to me her english was perfect, put me in my place i can tell you....xx(

Windy

Bigtallfatbloke

...I just passed by my local Aldi...there is already a long queue of sado cyclists outside in tents and sleeping bags discussing the wicking properties of undergarments...I'd get down there asap if I were you;)xx(:sad:

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
It's a bit embarrassing going at opening time. You have to join a queue of 'older' cyclists in tight-fitting garments, and then join the scrum amongst the flying bits of gear.

I was amused to read this, as this is exactly what happens over here, the home of Aldi. It can get quite viscious at times. Avoid the place at all costs if they are selling children's clothes or inliners.
You also get unfit looking gentlemen who buy up several packets of each product, presumably because they cycle to work everyday and need it ...!!

ChrisKH

Guru
Bigtallfatbloke said:
it's very quiet around here this morning...think I'll wander down to Aldi and see whats occuring

BTFB, Let me know if there's any stock left - I was going to hit Pitsea tonight, but no point if they don't have anything. I'm after the winter leggings btw. Some of us have to work it's just not fair.xx( (Cue: Hissy Fit).

Bigtallfatbloke

OK here is the result of the Pitsea jury:

I am now the owner of the winter jacket xl in yellow an dblack and a matching pair of winter gloves xl for a total of £17

The jacket is pretty good quality, nice and warm and a good cut....makes me look slim (ish!) The label inside tells me it is made by an outfit called Cranebike...the xl size fits chest 46-48" 116-121cm. The shell is 90% polyester 10% Elastane. The Back part is 86% Polyamide & 14% Elastane with the mesh being 100% polysester. It has a good sized rear pocket as well with a zipper.

The Cranebike gloves are nice as well.

I couldnt find any jerseys in the shop though and when I asked the bloke said everything they had was out on display so...

The Jackets and trousers are hanging up mid store...the gloves locks and overshoe/cap bundle are at the back in a a huge pile. The wall racks are at the back of the shop as well.

The hi vis rain jackets and w/proof trousers looked ok to me...although somewhay lightweight...but then agin you'd be wearing a jersey under it.

There are more small and medium sizes than large and x large. I only jus tmanged to squeeze into the xl but i thought if I keep riding like I am it will fit perfectly by Christmas!

The locks have a key/not a combination...and are pretty solid for £3

I took a good look at the overshoes which come with a skull cap in a package deal. They seemed ok for the cash...(although not as warm as my nike neoprenes) but the max size is 10-11 and I only found one of those on display ampungst lots of small & mediums.

The winter leggins/tights look to be of good enough quality as well, although I saw no bib tights just the standard waist down tights, and only in plain black. Again s m L & XL are the size options and it's mostly the small & Medium sizes. I couldnt fit into the XL tights, much to the amusement of the old dear in the aisle!

I wanted to buy a second pair of gloves in grey and a lock but my card got rejected (even though it is a visa debit card) so i had to run with the 20 notes I had with me.

There were 3 or 4 other cycle types hanging around...I wouldnt hang around too long if I were you especially if you need a larger size.xx(

p.s. If you get no joy at Pitsea there is a store over in Wickford I think.

ChrisKH

Guru
Thanks BTFB. Store at Southend as well, behind the protest encampment at the end of the A13.

Have you been to Decathlon at Lakeside recently? They've got some good bits of winter gear and quite big leggings. Already got a nice pair of winter gloves from there.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Just got:

Jersey

Gloves

Winter trousers

Waterproof trousers

overshoes/cap

Waterproof jacket

Only thing I couldn't find were the glasses.

At first glance it all looks to be pretty decent stuff. I didn't intend to get a jersey but they looked really good for the price so I gave in xx(

I got there just after 9:00, there were a few people rummaging but it wasn't chaotic and there was lots of stock there.
Thats the Sittingbourne branch BTW

So, got all the gear now, just need to get good................................

Frazer

Just got in from one in bristol, got a jersey, waterproof jacket, winter trousers, socks x 2, gloves, cap/overshoes. All seems pretty good for the money, however i bought a medium jersey so assumed medium trousers would probably fit, alas they are a tad too large, but still wearable, especially for the price. Jersey could be a bit tighter in the sleeves as well, but dead chuffed with the jacket and other little bits.

Expected a big ruckus when i went in, but there were only about 5/6 people around the cycling stuff, talked to one guy who said he only came in for a bottle of water and had armfuls of cycling gear now!

Alcdrew

Well I had to send the wife as I'm at work :sad: And by the sounds of it her trip wasn't great. All she got me out of my list of thing was socks and over shoes. She asked about the water proofs and was told they never got any in.

O well at least my feet will be nice and warm xx(

MarkF

Guru
Frazer said:
All seems pretty good for the money, however i bought a medium jersey so assumed medium trousers would probably fit, alas they are a tad too large, but still wearable, especially for the price. J

xx( The Aldi sizing is crazy, my good lady has just brought me a large rainproof jacket, it's massive and I've a 44" chest. Got some pants, gloves, a couple of chains as well, all cracking value.
I went to the Bradford store at 9.15 and it was full of chavgit families bulking up on all the cycling gear for Ebay:angry: I gave up and asked my wife to call in at Shipley on her way to work and that store was very quiet.

Top Bottom