Anyone got a chain tensioner they don't need?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi folks

I'm gradually building up a nice Trek MTB frame into a single speed, just for kicks. I've built the wheel, a cog has been donated, now I need a chain tensioner.

Does anyone have one they no longer need? Happy to exchange for beer tokens.

Cheers

No tensioner here I'm afraid. Could you use an old rear mech, fixed in position with a short length of cable?

OP
OP
T
Thought of that. Thought of fabricating one up using an old jockey wheel and some ally, too. Just don't get much time to mess about with prototypes and adjustments at the moment.

old mech fixed in position with a spoke works well

there'll only be a similar amount of fettling as a tensioner but its easier to adjust!

skwerl

put rear mech on. get an old spoke and stick it in place of the cable. The bend at the end will cause it to stop up against the adjuster barrel. you then hold the mech in the correct position and tighten the cable clamp against the spoke. cut rest of spoke off

OP
OP
T
skwerl said:
put rear mech on. get an old spoke and stick it in place of the cable. The bend at the end will cause it to stop up against the adjuster barrel. you then hold the mech in the correct position and tighten the cable clamp against the spoke. cut rest of spoke off

Nice. Will report back. THANK you.

Top Bottom