Anyone got a Ribble CGR - good touring bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kenam

Regular
I have an average 10year old road bike. Been good over the years, but repairs are becomming more frequent!

I want to do some touring/bikepacking (i.e. 'light' touring, packing light as possible for around a week or so at a time, *maybe* across EU by end of year if time/budget allows).

The Ribble CGR looks a good combo - alu frame, a few mount points if needed and relaxed geometry - anyone used one? Any other suggestions?

Its been a while since I bought a new bike and lots of new marketing terminology out there..

vickster

Legendary Member
@Richard A Thackeray might have one?

I have one. Although I haven't ridden it much due to injury - Its is a very stable bike - it comes with through axles , and a threaded BB - the mudguards are a dream - compared to my carbon best bike (3 x the cost) - it is heavy but probably comparable to any alu bike at this price point.

The london road from planet x would be a competitor - IMO that is an older frame - but the £999 model with rival has hydros - where as the £999 ribble comes with tiagra and cable disc brakes. I got the ribble @ C2W so it worked out a bit cheaper than the PX.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kenam

Regular
I have one. Although I haven't ridden it much due to injury - Its is a very stable bike - it comes with through axles , and a threaded BB - the mudguards are a dream - compared to my carbon best bike (3 x the cost) - it is heavy but probably comparable to any alu bike at this price point.

The london road from planet x would be a competitor - IMO that is an older frame - but the £999 model with rival has hydros - where as the £999 ribble comes with tiagra and cable disc brakes. I got the ribble @ C2W so it worked out a bit cheaper than the PX.
Sorry to hear about injury - what sort of riding did you do on it? What intended use?

Sorry to hear about injury - what sort of riding did you do on it? What intended use?
It was to be my winter bike. so probably 50-60 miles touring rides - or 25-35 training rides. I commute to work on an MTB - as a park I go through is puncture hell (But better than west midlands traffic!!) - the Ribble appealed because of the potential to put on much larger tyres.

Gekko21

Regular
I considered the Ribble, but went for the aforementioned Planet X London Road instead (I've got the SL version although it looks like they've just updated the specs on the London Road). My main reason was price - Planet X are renowned for their nutty sales so I targeted the Rival 1 version with the hydraulic discs and then just waited for the price to drop. After about 2 months of monitoring their emails, they had a couple in the sale for £608 and I snapped one up. It has all the necessary mount points for both touring and commuting purposes and I've since fitted the PX mudguards (fairly straightforward) and a Topeak Super Tourist disc rack (very straightforward).

I use the bike solely for commuting at present as I have Rose Pro Cross Gravel for weekend road and trail duties. It's a great year round bike due to it's clearance for wide tyres and mount points. Like the Ribble, the PX isn't a particularly light bike (my Rose, which is also alu is notably lighter), but it's well-suited to carrying a load and feels sturdy and stable to ride.

OP
OP
K

kenam

Regular
see - I have my ageing cube for winter club/ general commute/shop duties. A bike in this category is almost doubling up on similarities (i.e. a bit heavy, like a 10 year old road bike. Relaxed geometry, like my bike. Clearance for wide tyres and mudguards - almost like mine).

I think for touring tho I would still run 25 or maybe 28mm tyres - I seem to have just gotten used to that old school thinner is better mentality.

So many choices tho! but I do want something reliable and comfortable that would let me properly travel for days.

@vickster
I have, but mine's the first generation (2016/2017 model)

Heavy...… yes, the first thought that springs to mind
But.... a decent wheel/tyre choice may negate that to an extent? (or the feeling of it)

My older one, has standard Q/R dropouts. but I've never had any front wheel issues (moving the axle/etc...) & I'll have had it 3 years come March
I'd certainly go for hydraulic brakes, over cable, if only for the feel
Don't forget you're not stretching an inner-cable, whist at the same time compressing an outer-housing
All effort goes to the caliper (& less effort too!)

I will admit, I did look at the titanium CGR frame, in the Leeds 'boutique'/pop-up shop a while ago
Nice, but I can't even justify it to myself😢

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-cgr-ti-frameset/

Similar odd drop-outs to the London Road too

I think for touring tho I would still run 25 or maybe 28mm tyres - I seem to have just gotten used to that old school thinner is better mentality.
So many choices tho! but I do want something reliable and comfortable that would let me properly travel for days.

My CGR, & I would presume the present models, will certainly take a '37' & 'guards
I've even tried it, out of curiosity with the wheels/tyres from my CX bike
(unscientific, as that's on cantilever brakes)

see - I have my ageing cube for winter club/ general commute/shop duties. A bike in this category is almost doubling up on similarities (i.e. a bit heavy, like a 10 year old road bike. Relaxed geometry, like my bike. Clearance for wide tyres and mudguards - almost like mine).

You seem to have knowledge of bikes - so doubt you would end up with something unreliable. Comfort is perhaps more about fit than frame material or brand.
I would say though although the ribble and london road are described as relaxed geo - they aren't as relaxed as my kuota khydra with its 160 HT - Just a warning to look at a few geometry charts rather than manufacturer blurb.

Also the CGR is strictness is a multi purpose bike (Cross\gravel\road) - could you not take a look at a dedicated touring bike if thats what you want (need !!!)

OP
OP
K

kenam

Regular
I know a little about bikes, but only have experience of one over the last 10 years.. so knowing what I want AND how to try out different bikes is tricky!

Also the CGR is strictness is a multi purpose bike (Cross\gravel\road) - could you not take a look at a dedicated touring bike if thats what you want (need !!!)

The problem I see with a dedicated touring bike (and I may be way wrong here!) is that they seem heavy and build for leisure touring. I want something closer to Audax or that feels lighter at least. The term bikepacking is a bit gimmicky but to be it means lightweight touring which seems to appeal to me. I might turn out to hate it!

Also - this bike will effectively be my summer good bike too - so it is kinda cross purpose.

tom73

Guru
The ribble is a great bike don't own one but got to see it on launch day and have thought about getting one ever since.
Plenty of options tyre wise inc option to run 650's wheels. I'd say it will do the job and more as for the london rd that one I own one came up 2rd hand same time I was looking at the CGR. Again nice tyre options and mounts on rear (carbon folks) I use mine both on road and off road. Currently running 35mm tyres. You can really have some fun and handle ruff stuff real fun to ride the green looks even better when you see it. For what it's worth the CGR colour options are really nice too they too will catch anyone eye.

If your set on running 28's max and want an Audax type can I suggest another option.

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m1b0s223p2866/SPA-CYCLES-Steel-Audax-(Shimano-105-Triple)

I also have one of these again 2rd hand (not same spec). i've only hand chance to use it as a general ride around but it ride's like a dream , plenty of mounting options. I would happily tour on it one of the reasons I'm going to give it make over and use it more.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
The Ribble CGR starts at £995, I’m not sure which spec you were looking at but if you are ok with the 1x11speed then I would also consider the Titanium Frame On One Pickenflick for £1195.
Edit - Not sure it has the necessary mounts (mudguard/rack) that you may need.
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/EBOOPICKRIV1/on-one-pickenflick-sram-rival1-titanium-cyclocross-bike View attachment 499357
Just to confirm, as someone who recently purchased a Pickenflick frame & forks, it does NOT have any mudguard or rack mounting points as it was designed more as a CX race bike.

Top Bottom