Anyone got an A-bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
Clive didn't invent the Eh?-Bike he was merely wheeled out to help with the er... 'marketing' such as it was. It was designed by an agency in't Far East whose most successful products are those underwater electric diving scooter thingies. They work slightly less badly under the arse of a smaller sort of person.

The Doc is right. They are very cool - yet completely shite.

I had one. I prefer my XL Microscooter which is lighter, faster, cheaper and folds to a smaller package more quickly.

from the linked site ...

"The idea is that if you have a bicycle which is seriously lighter and more compact than anything existing at the moment, it will change the way in which people see bikes."

Sir Clive Sinclair, inventor of the A-bike

mark barker

I've got one! (along with a C5!) They are pretty tricky to ride on anything but a perfectly smooth surface. Having said that, once you forget everything you know about cycling and look upon it as a totally new concept then it becomes a little easier to deal with.

Arch

Married to Night Train
It probably doesn't add much to the information available, but I've ridden one, and I'd be faster walking.

Very neat. And fun up and down corridors no doubt, but not on real roads. I nearly came off after a speck of dust lodged under the front wheel.

Sir Clive SInclair is the inventor it seems

Someone remind me of his last famous invention and how practical that turned out to be

That was a great concept, unfortunately far too early, before the technology was available at the right price for such a vehicle - and dogged by the same crap people spout about 'bents being dangerous

As for the A-bike, personally I think you'd be better putting castors on the bottom of a ZX81 and using it as a skateboard!

I had a "clipless moment" when I failed to lift the front wheel enough just crossing the kerb to my house...such events would be daily, or about 1 per mile, if I tried to use the A-bike on the roads around here.

They could be useful for workers needing to traverse a mega-warehouse or something like that though...

Bigsharn

Veteran
It might be illegal to cycle on the pavement, but I can't see anyone pulling you up on it... I rode a child's scooter to work for a couple of years (VERY long story behind that), usually on the pavement and often past the police. Only once I was flagged down, but that was because I wasn't wearing any safety gear :tongue:

Arch

Married to Night Train
It might be illegal to cycle on the pavement, but I can't see anyone pulling you up on it... I rode a child's scooter to work for a couple of years (VERY long story behind that), usually on the pavement and often past the police. Only once I was flagged down, but that was because I wasn't wearing any safety gear :tongue:

I don't think there's anything illegal about riding a scooter (you mean a microscooter sort of thing?) on the pavement though, ditto skateboards and rollerskates.

I wouldn't have much sympathy for an adult pulled up for riding an A-bike on the pavement, because a) grownups should cycle on the road on a bike fit for that purpose and b) they bought an A-bike and used it in public....;)

Davidc

Guru
It says 8" wheels. There are some >= 8" potholes around here for them!

Bigsharn

Veteran
I don't think there's anything illegal about riding a scooter (you mean a microscooter sort of thing?) on the pavement though, ditto skateboards and rollerskates.

I wouldn't have much sympathy for an adult pulled up for riding an A-bike on the pavement, because a) grownups should cycle on the road on a bike fit for that purpose and b) they bought an A-bike and used it in public....;)

Yep, it was a midiscooter (the difference in wheel size defines the name), and all of the above are classed as pedestrian vehicles. :tongue: And I was merely pointing out that riding a midiscooter and riding an a-bike aren't too dissimilar.

Top Bottom