Anyone got an Islabike for sale 20"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lukesdad

Crackle looking for something for Luke at the moment he s comming up on 6. Interested to read you comments on the suitability, as I was going to get him an islabike even though most of his riding will be off road. Could you elaborate a little more as to why the trek would be better is it not a lot heavier? Not sure what to do now.:biggrin:

Don't get me wrong the Islabike has been great but it came up short when we were living in Scotland and riding some of the trails around Glen Nevis. The geometry is just wrong for anything beyond forest type roads. My older son was able to jump his Trek and ride it down some fairly bumpy terrain but the Isla didn't have the handling for that. To be fair it's probably not designed for that but if by off road you mean forest tracks and well surfaced trails, it's absolutely fine, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it and you can wave goodbye to him up hills.

The Trek is heavier but not so heavy as to make it a chore to ride, in fact it's not bad and has been a great all round bike. It's certainly had plenty of abuse and stood up to most of it. Glen Nevis finished off the front suspension though. It's also highly adjustable in terms of reach and pedals. There are two pedal positions on the cranks and the stem rotates backwards to shorten the reach, though the new ones look different, so you'd have to check that out. Because of that he's had it from 7 to 12, though I'm really pushing it making him ride it now as he can ride my bike.

I like both of them but f I was forced to choose, I'd say the Trek is the most flexible and more all round capable. The Kona by the way is similar to the Trek but less good on the road but it's a lot cooler than both in kids eyes.

lukesdad

Sorry, yes got confused,its the Kona I was interested in and I know what your saying about coolness:biggrin: Luke s only been going 3 weeks but he s allready flying. And to be honest if I bought the Isla back I think he d be dissapointed. (He s already eyeing up my Scott endorphin saying thats the one he wants to race:sad:).

He s not that strong yet obviously, but every day when he comes home from school he s riding round our woods. The thing he s got at the moment is a single speed handmedownsteel BSO.There s some pics of him on the its lukey thread in the cafe. What doya reckon do you think the Kona would be suitable (he s a bit small but he s game) and spends alot of time riding out of the saddle. Would be interested to know what the minium saddle to ground height is. Many thanks.

I shall check when I get back. I have to go and watch youngest's sons school production of Willy Wonka now :biggrin: Are you far from the Wirral? You could come and compare all three bikes.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Have you seen this Donna?

That's a 24" bike and if he is a small 7 yo it will be too big unfortunately I would have thought.

OP
OP
D

Donna

Sorry guys, its a shame i dont get a notification of a post. I dont think the 20" one would have fit him. His current bike is a 16" BMX, thanks User re the Carrera but we tried a carrera one at Halfords and the only one that fits him is a Carrera 16".

Top Bottom