Anyone have a 35mm (SLR) collecting dust/surplus to requirements?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The first SLR I used was a Nikon F. I studied Photography at ‘O’-level and needed a film camera to work with - my aunt said she had one I could borrow. She then presented me with a Nikon F with a 35mm lens plus a 180 f/2.8 lens. Sadly I had to give it back, but I did get the ‘O’-level. That camera would survive a nuclear strike.
I interviewed a photographer called Tim Page once. He said photojournalists like him liked Nikons because in a push you could use them for self-defence in a riot and they would still work perfectly afterwards.

Now, if you *REALLY* want a film-shooting challenge, get a medium format (120 / 620) box. You have to work out your framing from an image that's upside down and back to front - doesn't half make you think about what you're doing...

One of my favourite past cameras was a Rolleicord Vb 2. Great bit of kit.

All uphill

Still rolling along
A few years ago I bought a couple of Olympus 35mm SLR cameras from local charity shops. Both were sitting "out the back" when I asked if they had any old cameras. £10 for a working OM1 with zuiko 1.4 was a good deal!

It might still be worth asking today.

A few years ago I bought a couple of Olympus 35mm SLR cameras from local charity shops. Both were sitting "out the back" when I asked if they had any old cameras. £10 for a working OM1 with zuiko 1.4 was a good deal!

It might still be worth asking today.

Funny you should say that - a couple of years ago, I bought a job lot of Russian (Zenit) and East German (Praktica) SLR camera bodies ranging from the 60s to the mid 80s for 99p a pop from a charity shop...

Top Bottom