Anyone have an unused musical instrument at home?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ganymede

Veteran
I know there are lots of musos on this site, and I bet there are even more who learned an instrument as a child. Even if you didn't keep playing it will have been a great opportunity and a great source of education for you.

I saw an amazing programme on C4 last night called "Don't Stop The Music" which was appealing for any musical instruments you might have gathering dust to be donated to give primary school children the chance to learn to play. This government pledged that all children would have a chance to learn, and yet at least a third do nothing but bang a few home-made drums and are taught by teachers who have no musical training.

When you become aware of how music in schools can make a huge difference to educational results across the board, through improving concentration, discipline, self-confidence etc etc, apart from its own merits, then this is a real tragedy. If you have an old instrument mouldering away, please donate it!

There's also a petition to sign - have a look here: http://www.dontstopthemusic.co.uk/

And please watch the programme on 4OD or see next week's episode on Tuesday.

Globalti

Legendary Member
When I was about 6 I was inspired by a guitarist playing at the restaurant in a French campsite. I asked my parents (who were singers and very musical) if I could have a guitar. The next day they bought me a souvenir toy guitar with four strings and plastic tuning pegs, which was a piece of garbage. It put me right off. I really do believe that they should have recognised the inspiration and got me a proper half-sized guitar; I might now be a musician not a poxy sales rep.

OP
OP
Ganymede

Ganymede

Veteran
When I was about 6 I was inspired by a guitarist playing at the restaurant in a French campsite. I asked my parents (who were singers and very musical) if I could have a guitar. The next day they bought me a souvenir toy guitar with four strings and plastic tuning pegs, which was a piece of garbage. It put me right off. I really do believe that they should have recognised the inspiration and got me a proper half-sized guitar; I might now be a musician not a poxy sales rep.
Get one now. I took up the piano a couple of years ago and I'm on grade 3 now, playing Bach and Beethoven. I'm 51. You know you want to!!!

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
Started to teach myself the piano about seven years ago. I was 46/7 at the time.

Fifteen minutes a day initially. And each minute seemed like an eternity, but I persevered and things gradually became a little easier.

So much so that playing the piano now passes the hot cup of tea test; that's to say, if you became so engrossed in what you're doing that your tea goes cold, then you're on to a winner!

Never gonna be the next Mozart or even Elton John for that matter, but it's something I've come to love in a relatively short space of time.

Having said all that, I've a G and C mouth organ I could never get the hang of I'm willing to donate!

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I have a very expensive drum kit, (which I can play) sitting in the garage untouched for the last 10 months, and an electronic one too, which was brand new ten month ago, I haven't touched that either since I bought it and a very nice Yamaha acoustic guitar which I started to play but has not been out of its case for four years.

It's bloody criminal.

I am ashamed.

I think I'll sell the drums.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Joshua Plumtree yesterday. No cold tea to be seen!

1377819752000-XXX-D-LIBERACE-06-VID.jpg

subaqua

What’s the point
does a stylophone count.

seriously though we have

Keyboard for littleuns to learn Piano - doing fairly well too
Clarinet - wifeys but I can get a tune from it if i try
Guitars- 2 no both wifeys
Trombone- wifeys from when she was a teenager and is a great lead in for tromboning jokes which still go over her head

Cheddar George

oober member
I'm not a musician at all, but aspire to be one (one day).

I have 6-7 instruments at home which I can't play; and I mean CAN'T play.

Banjo
Jew's harp
Harmonica
Pan Pipes
Penny whistle
An Indian dholak (drum)
An some percussion instruments

And once I've learnt a few of them, I want to get a didgeridoo.

didgeri don't ...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have 2 guitars and an electronic piano waiting to see whether I ever get round to learning how to play.

I suppose the fact that when I was lying face down, near death, 2 years ago my second thought after 'Oh sh*t, I am too young to die!' was a very sad 'I never got round to learning to play my guitars!' should tell me something ... :whistle:

OP
OP
Ganymede

Ganymede

Veteran
I like the cold tea test! I definitely have that. I'm now starting singing classes, difference being that I used to be a highly competent classical singer and I've let it degenerate, so I'm going to claw my way back up.

Now, does anyone have an old instrument that they can donate? I know there are a couple in my family.

And please sign the petition. It is a disgrace what has happened to music teaching in this country. I was in the unusual position of giving evidence at a parliamentary committee on arts funding and I told them that in 10 years all the players in British orchestras would be Venezuelan (they have the famous "El Sistema" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Sistema with 125 national youth orchestras) and that Venezuela would deserve that state of affairs and so would we.

Petition: http://www.dontstopthemusic.co.uk/add-my-name

...calling on the government to fulfil the promise that they made but neglected.

OP
OP
Ganymede

Ganymede

Veteran
I have 2 guitars and an electronic piano waiting to see whether I ever get round to learning how to play.

I suppose the fact that when I was lying face down, near death, 2 years ago my second thought after 'Oh sh*t, I am too young to die!' was a very sad 'I never got round to learning to play my guitars!' should tell me something ... :whistle:
Do it Colin... do it. Do it!

Top Bottom