Anyone have any 'dots' for Europe?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

morehawes

OK, so i've finished university and it's about time I started seriously looking into planning my upcoming tour! ;) I'm planning on doing as much of Europe (yes I know it's a big place) as possible for as long as I can afford. Around 2-3 months.

I'm not planning on having an itinerary, I want to just see where I end up, but have a rough route in mind. This will consist of a list of places I want to visit and then connecting the dots!

So does anyone have anywhere (I mean anywhere) around Europe they would recommend? I'm in such early stages that any suggestions are welcome! It doesn't just have to be cylcing routes per say - just anywhere you enjoyed or thought were especially beautiful!

I'm planning on leaving in September and am on a very strict budget. I love scenery (not just because it's free!) but i'm interested in getting a real mix of Europe - places, people and entertainment.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm off to drink tea, eat hobnobs and read my lonely planet 'Europe On A Shoestring' for ideas!

Thanks,
Joe.

Here's a big dot I would recommend!

http://www.degata.com/eng/

Cabo de Gata. There's a national park with great views, a wonderful beach or two, a laid-back atmosphere and close to Almeria (Ryan Air fly there), which is a friendly town. There was a small windsurfing community there and cyclists were camping rough.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
IMO the first 150 km of the Danube from the source in Donaueschingen are unmissable also the medaeval towns on the Romantische Strasse between Donauworth and Wurzburg.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Oh my word, that's a big question! Off the top of my head:

The Alps including the area around Mont Ventoux
Switzerland...esp Lauterbrunnen valley
Salzburg....most gorgeous little city on earth
Florence...ditto but bigger
Moscow...mind-blowing.

Give me a bit longer...

Bigtallfatbloke

Dunno if you are a history buff but I bet you will be in northern France at some pint..erm..I mean point...so how about the WW1 Battlefields between Albert and Bapume...all along that small road amazing stories are to be found. Also the Normandy landing beaches are a must. Also the battlefields of Verdun are very worth a trip back in time.

If ever you are in Northern Germany and fancy getting naked with lots hot women then check out the beaches on Sylt...it's a long ride though with no ...erm..'guarantees';):biggrin:

Spain...I liked the routes up to Rhonda and places like Arcos de la Fronterra...very nice picturesque...go in the Spring though.

Want to get high with hot women on bikes...then check out Amsterdam in the summer.

Into some culture...then head off to Salzburg on the Mozart
thing...I liked it at Christmas best but I wasnt on a bike.

OP
OP
morehawes

morehawes

Ah thanks everyone! Some things to get me started. I wish I could go everywhere - maybe one day!

Andy in Sig - funny you mentioned that particular place in Germany, I have a friend who lives not too far away from there so may be able to go on my way to see them.

Thanks again to everyone, and of course if anyone has any more ideas!...

Joe.

samid

Veteran
I would include Northern Italy. Florence was mentioned already, Venice is an amazing place (though you can't bike in the city itself). And so on. For instance, just to the west of Verona, there is a lake and a town on a small peninsula on it, Sermione - very nice, check it out.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
morehawes said:
Andy in Sig - funny you mentioned that particular place in Germany, I have a friend who lives not too far away from there so may be able to go on my way to see them.

Which one: Donaueschingen, Donauwörth or Würzburg?

Top Bottom