Anyone heard of E. Bekaert bikes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

topher1

I recently acquired a bicycle from my father that he purchased from a "constructeur" named E. Bekaert near Paris, France. The original bill of sale dates this bike from 15 Jun 1939. It is frame #2055 and rolls sweetly today. Amazingly I could find nothing on the Internet about this builder. I have posted photos in another forum with nothing but knowledgeable guesswork in response.

Hard to believe I might actually own something unique.

The metal tag on the head bracket says only Bekaert. The seat tube has numerous fluer de lis on a white field and the label on the down tube says LEULLIOT in large letters. On either side of that in smaller letters it says VELO ROUEN. Some of the fittings are French (Huret).

I assume it is French but have been unable to find anything about this bicycle maker on the internet. According to Wikipedia, Jean Leulliot was manager of the French team that won the Tour de France in 1937 and then had a rather colorful and contentious relationship with French Nationalists, organizing the alternative 1942 Circuit de France under Nazi sponsorship.

Thanks in advance for any assistance,
Chris Edmonds
Batavia IL USA

Attachments

• Bekaert P1140260sm.JPG
    Bekaert P1140260sm.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 70
  • Bekaert paper.jpg
    Bekaert paper.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 69

Norm

Wow!!! Fascinating on so many levels.

Initially the whole WWII connection, the sale being less than 3 months before France declared war on Germany but then the possible Leulliot connection, the 1200FrF price, the mystery about "Le Cycles Bekaert" (although I did find a head tube badge on Flickr) and the idea of a Londoner heading over to Paris to pick up his new bicycle, which he passes on to his son in America 70 years later.

I doubt the company anything to do with Bekaert, who I know through their barbed wire production. They were based near Dunkirk, which is 250km from Perreux.

Fantastic post for a Sunday morning, though. :thumbsup: Many thanks and I do hope that you have something unique there. :becool:

OP
OP
topher1

topher1

It is quite a puzzle. Another website identified the possible Flemish connection. Bekaert appears in the list of Flemish builders, but without any details at http://www.antiekeve...Vp9tkbpcCNbBLHw

However the mystery deepens with the "Velo Rouen" downtube marking. The address on the letterhead is visible today in Google streetview (80 Av Ledru-Rollin, Perreux-sur-Marne). There is a small "80" on the side of the building.

The letterhead says "maison fondee en 1919" and look at the references on the letterhead. Does anyone know who Louviot and G.Maton were?

And what is Motoconfort?"

A few more items that may be relevant. This is probably not the original enamel. Just before we emigrated to the USA in 1951 I think my father had all of his bicycles re-enameled. So although this bicycle undoubtedly originated in a shop just east of Paris. The photos don't show what it looked like originally.

I have no idea where the serial number is on the frame. There are some markings on the BB but no number. Any suggestions?

A member on that "other website" suggested that the lugwork could not possibly date from 1939.

It would not be a good idea to base any judgment on the accessories. My father delighted in swapping around handlebars, saddles, gear blocks, cranks, etc., to suit his needs. He finished more than one TT with half a handlebar. The box of bicycle bits I inherited is quite telling.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.
Chris Edmonds
Batavia IL USA

Attachments

• P1140385crop.jpg
    P1140385crop.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 66
  • P1140386crop.jpg
    P1140386crop.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 52
  • P1140399crop.jpg
    P1140399crop.jpg