Under-Inflated Tires Solution Evaluation Survey (open to all)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi again all,

Thank you again to those who have completed our survey found in a previous forum post (Linked Here). Some of you pointed out that our wording of the problem as "flat tire detection" caused some confusion and so we have redefined our problem as "under-inflated tire detection" as it is much more indicative of the problem we are trying to solve. With ample survey results since then, we have now begun designing possible solutions for this problem. We have come up with a number of designs that we would like to get input on from the community through a follow up survey. To keep this short, more information about our project and problem can be found in this new survey linked below.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...9wI443C1qtO7-lzVeQsp6CKA/viewform?usp=sf_link

Thanks again for all the help we received previously and we hope to see what you guys think of our designs!

There are already products on the market that appear similar to what you are proposing, though they are on the expensive side.

E.g SKS Airspy and the Quark TyreWiz.

I have the SKS unit on my commuter which displays in a data field on my Garmin Edge head unit. The Garmin emits an audible alert if the pressure gets too low.

Dadam

Finger/thumb squeeze. Sorted.

But how do you calibrate the squeeze? I used to say my thumb could tell the pressure of a car tyre to +/- 3 psi, but for some reason since using it for the bike tyre squeeze it's lost all accuracy. Lucky if I can tell 40 from 70! Has it worn out - do I need a new thumb?

I run the tyres on my commuter at 2.5 bar due to the variety of surfaces. As they have a great deal of puncture resistance I cannot tell the difference between the set pressure and 2 bar where the risk of a pinch flat significantly increases.

I currently use SKS AirSpy sensors on the bike with my Garmin set to alert me if the pressure drops below 2.1bar. I can therefore see a market for such devices but they need to be able to have an adjustable trigger pressure otherwise it will limit their use too much.

Gillstay

Über Member
I normally notice how inflated the tyres are by putting the brake on and pressing down or even just sitting on the bike.

The need for a tool seems odd to me.

Gwylan

Veteran
But how do you calibrate the squeeze? I used to say my thumb could tell the pressure of a car tyre to +/- 3 psi, but for some reason since using it for the bike tyre squeeze it's lost all accuracy. Lucky if I can tell 40 from 70! Has it worn out - do I need a new thumb?

Replace the batteries

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
You can run your bike tyres at a wide range of pressures without a material impact on handling / rolling resistance. I tend to inflate towards the upper end of the range I like and then leave it till it feels like it’s leaving the lower end. If you ride your bike often enough you’ll know how frequently the air needs topping up.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Tyre pressure options.
Does it feel squidgy when you squeeze it between finger and thumb? Solution: pump it up.
Does it feel hard when you squeeze it between finger and thumb? Solution: leave it alone.
For the worriers out there, there's a marvellous device called a Tyre Pressure Gauge. No need for anything else, unless you like gadgets. Life is complicated enough. It's a bike, not a two ton motor vehicle.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Finger/thumb squeeze. Sorted.

Maybe just technique but I find my thumb keeps getting trapped in the mudguard as the wheel goes round causing me to fall off!

IMO a vaguely interesting idea. On the one hand I'm no fan of superfluous electronic gadgetry; on the other having had the front end go all squirmy on me at speed several times recently, the ability to know to stop before the bike becomes unsafe would be welcome.. although I guess this would only apply to slower punctures.

Top Bottom