Anyone heard of "Real" bicycles? (have my eye on a klunker, Atb)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

8mph

Veteran
There's an interesting Klunker / Atb / Tourer in my friend's barn, made by "Real", the model is "Easy".

Could this be my poor man's Rivendell, my budget Ritchey Ascent? :okay:

Pic from web:

Screenshot_20230715_075139.jpg

There's an interesting Klunker / Atb / Tourer in my friend's barn, made by "Real", the model is "Easy".

Could this be my poor man's Rivendell, my budget Ritchey Ascent? :okay:

Pic from web:

View attachment 698822

These were on sale at H*lfords way back when I worked there in the late 1990's. I think they were supposed to be a mid range city styled bike; this was the budget version as far as I can remember and came in this orange or slate blue.

OP
OP
8mph

8mph

Veteran
These were on sale at H*lfords way back when I worked there in the late 1990's. I think they were supposed to be a mid range city styled bike; this was the budget version as far as I can remember and came in this orange or slate blue.
Ah, it might need a cunning respray and some alt bars in that case!

Chris S

Legendary Member

Yes - Halfords made a Real 3-speed as well. Cycling snobs would probably classify them as BSOs but they weren't bad bikes.

I doubt anyone will know what it is. I only remember it because it was right in front of the counter where I stood so I saw it every day.

The one pictured looks like it's pretty much in original condition, even down to the skinwall tyres and grip shift gears

I remember they made a very nice looking touring version based (I think) on the same frame geometry.

Yes - Halfords made a Real 3-speed as well. Cycling snobs would probably classify them as BSOs but they weren't bad bikes.

Ah, yes, now I remember. The three speed was the "budget" version and this was the mid range.

Halfords are a bit unfairly judged on some of their higher quality bikes, and their staff: I had some very good supervisors who really loved bikes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
8mph

8mph

Veteran
I doubt anyone will know what it is. I only remember it because it was right in front of the counter where I stood so I saw it every day.

The one pictured looks like it's pretty much in original condition, even down to the skinwall tyres and grip shift gears

I remember they made a very nice looking touring version based (I think) on the same frame geometry.

The pic I posted was taken from the Internet. The bike in question is in near immaculate condition. I've just had another look. Found the Halfords sticker and a label attached to the rack with someone's surname and date (2006)

My guess is it's been in the barn for the last 17 years. Mechs were functioning. Probably in need up a wash and new tubes.

I will make some enquiries.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
One keeps coming up on Gumtree near me:

View attachment 698855

£35 for a rusty chain 🧐

Top Bottom