Anyone here practise Boxing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Monkspeed

My very kind neighbour just gave me a punch bag, the type that screw into a heavy base.

I've always wanted something like this so I am over the moon! I've just been having a go and my knuckles skin is being taken off.

I sort of want this so that I can toughen up my hands a bit but my question is what sort of gloves would I need just for training? I've had a look on Sports Direct and there are a gazzillion different styles and makes. Can you recommend some things for me?

Many thanks and apologies if this is in the wrong section.
:smile:

Mad at urage

Bag mitts

Edit to add: I prefer fingerless ones, they encourage a properly formed fist.
e.g. http://www.google.co.uk/products/ca...=X&ei=wTM5T9nwIciK0AXYosGNAg&ved=0CIIBEPMCMAU

Do make sure you get taught to form a fist properly: Not one with your thumb tucked inside (which I've actually seen people teach :eek:) as that will break your thumb. Keep your knuckles lined up with your wrist bones.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
You want bag mitts rather then gloves. They have velcro rather then faffy laces (mitts are not expensive either, you don't need to spend much at all, but make sure they have decent padding as you can easily damage your hands)
Boxfituk.com is a good port of call of all things boxing.

(used to do a bit of boxing in my time....)

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
watch out for your wrists.

Hitting a heavy bag without taping your wrists can cause problems if you're not used to it.

I allways used to use an old pair of 8oz gloves with the laces replaced with elastic as bag gloves, protects your hands better than mitts especially on a heavy bag, or one of those ones like a medicine ball suspended between two bits of rubber that I've forgotton the name of.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
What club did you box for when you were having 'contests' (i.e amateur), assume it was 'up north' but were you at any national tournaments between 1977 and 1997? How did you get on pro? I didn't really have what it took for the 'fight' game.

Dahn sarf mate.
School only (Wimbledon), no contest apart from local inter club/school.
Late 70's/early 80's was my time period. (in my teens)

And for fights I meant not entirely legal (sorry me trying to be funny)

Sorry, don't know why I thought you were 'up north' see you're in Kent, you weren't the bloke who beat the crap out of me in the 1979 ABA southern championships were you? I think he was from a borstal in Kent.

Dahn sarf mate.
School only (Wimbledon), no contest apart from local inter club/school.
Late 70's/early 80's was my time period. (in my teens)

And for fights I meant not entirely legal (sorry me trying to be funny)

Sorry should have made it clearer, I was alluding to;
Contests = Amateur
Fights = Pro

OP
OP
Monkspeed

Monkspeed

Whoa, Lots of replies! I forgot about this thread.

I bought some Lonsdale bag mitts, unfortunately not fingerless though, didn't see that post till just now!

I bought these ones LINKY

I tried them out, they seem pretty good but I couldnt train for too long as my knuckles are still healing up from before lol

Thanks chaps! :biggrin:

Garz

Squat Member
I sort of want this so that I can toughen up my hands a bit but my question is what sort of gloves would I need just for training? I've had a look on Sports Direct and there are a gazzillion different styles and makes. Can you recommend some things for me?

:smile:

I done some boxing when I was a youngster, my friend got me into it as he was pretty good who eventually done some of that MMA fighting. I purchased some bag gloves that were fingerless that were shoot, you want quite cumbersome ones (upto 20oz) at first to offer padding till they start to toughen up. After a while it's all down to preference as you get better punching technique.

Top Bottom