Anyone here with a Tern Joe?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
HI All,

I have a Tern Joe P27 but have issues with the amount of movement around the main hinge bolt.
It's been into Evans many times, but they tend to be pretty useless.

It looks to me as if something should screw in to the top of the bolt to secure it and reduce the amount of play in the bolt socket, but I can't find another Joe to look at.

If anyone here does have one- have you got something on top of the bolt below the grommet?

tds101

I own the Tern Joe P24. Please post a picture so I can see the joint. There may be a difference, as the newer TJP27, I believe, has a different joint. Either way, there should be ABSOLUTELY no play in it. My TJP24 is over 3yrs old, and I've NEVER had an issue with play.

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
Thanks - here are some shots of the bike. As you can see in the first pic, there is quite a lot of room around the main bolt. It's completely stable when the hinge is locked, but moves up and down at least a centimetre when folding.

I have had it to bits (don't trust Evans) and it seems secure and solid. I'm just convinced that something should plug into the top to reduce the movement, or there is some sort of frame wear.

Tried to do a movie of the movement also...
https://photos.app.goo.gl/chFEDCtrhNRrXquz7

Attachments

• IMG_20181016_115538.jpg
    IMG_20181016_115538.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_20181016_115702.jpg
    IMG_20181016_115702.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_20181016_115718.jpg
    IMG_20181016_115718.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_20181016_115729.jpg
    IMG_20181016_115729.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 118

tds101

The fact that the hinge moves that way when it's open means there's play in it. It's in need of, at the very least, new hardware. I'd actually contact Tern directly, and have them give thier opinion. If it's too damaged you just might need a new frame.

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
Thanks - I have tried via their "contact us" form. Just sent another one, as I had no response to the first.

What does the top of your hinge bolt look like?

doginabag

Try kicking up a fuss on social media, that was the only way I got any response from Tern when mine had issues.

tds101

Thanks - I have tried via their "contact us" form. Just sent another one, as I had no response to the first.

What does the top of your hinge bolt look like?
I'll take a picture of the hinge for you when I get home tonight. Well, I've been at work for 2 days, so at least by Friday.

As for contacting Tern, go on Facebook and post on their page. Also, hit up their Twitter and Instagram accounts. That should get a response.

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
Met a chap on the train who had the next model down from the Joe. As I suspected there is a plastic / rubber bung in the top. I think that's what's missing from mine.

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
How did you rectify the problem Tern Joe P27?
Well.... it's somewhat of a long story....

Essentially, I complained again to Evans and they decided that the best option was to completely replace the frame with a Dahon frame thus creating a frankenbike. Now this would have been all well and good, but they didn't check that the seatpost for the Tern seat worked with the Dahon frame. The Dahon frame worked nicely and I enjoyed the new hinge.

Well, I enjoyed it right up until I was cycling home and the frame shattered around the seatpost and I ended up with the rear axle impaled in my left buttock. Some nice people scraped me off the road and I called for emergency assistance (my wife) and took the bits home. I wrote a nice letter to Evans explaining what had happened and included photos. Initially they weren't that responsive. A subsequent correspondence where I suggested legal action and compensation resulted in the delivery of a brand new Tern Joe P27 with the new hinge design and I have had no problems since...

Kell

Veteran
I have sworn never to use Evans again after their treatment of me with my Dahon bike - and I didn't have anything like that experience.
Hope you're OK now, but I'd have wanted a lot more from them than that.

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
I have sworn never to use Evans again after their treatment of me with my Dahon bike - and I didn't have anything like that experience.
Hope you're OK now, but I'd have wanted a lot more from them than that.
I was tempted, but I didn't need to go to the GP or hospital so there was no supporting medical record for a personal injury claim (I spent 5 years working as a legal secretary for a personal injury solicitor, so I had some knowledge of how the system worked) - just my bruised posterior. I might have been able to get a small amount of additional, but it would have taken a fair amount of time, so I settled for the brand new bike issued in super quick time and an apology. It helps that I can write a really good letter that looks like it might have been drafted by a solicitor...

Top Bottom