Anyone identify this old tandem... Edit- USWB Claud Butler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stewie griffin

Über Member
Picked it up today at a car boot sale, obviously old but no identifying marks.

IRDk9pa.jpg

I know it isn't a great image so I'll upload more soon I just wondered if the slightly unusual frame might narrow it down. Thanks.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Looks very much like a SWB or ultra swb Claud Butler with that rear tube
Nice find as well @stewie griffin

OP
OP
S

stewie griffin

Über Member
Looks very much like a SWB or ultra swb Claud Butler with that rear tube
Nice find as well @stewie griffin

Thank you very much, after looking at images of SWB Claude Butler's it appears to be a 1938-46 model so :okay: to you.

Found a very faint Claude Butler cast into the rear BB lug/shell. It's pretty much complete except for missing the derailleur for the three speed freewheel. It has a three speed (I think) hub with brake and some crazy looking cantilevers!

Fancied a tandem for years and looking forward to me and my lady giving it a go when I get some new tyres on it! The old Michelin's are still holding air despite massive perishing but look like they will explore any moment!

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Thank you very much, after looking at images of SWB Claude Butler's it appears to be a 1938-46 model so :okay: to you.

Found a very faint Claude Butler cast into the rear BB lug/shell. It's pretty much complete except for missing the derailleur for the three speed freewheel. It has a three speed (I think) hub with brake and some crazy looking cantilevers!

Fancied a tandem for years and looking forward to me and my lady giving it a go when I get some new tyres on it! The old Michelin's are still holding air despite massive perishing but look like they will explore any moment!

Got offered one of these about 5 years ago for £25 , by the time I thought about It , it was sold :angry:

OP
OP
S

stewie griffin

Über Member
A few more pics for anyone interested.

0cGsTJv.jpg

vBU5pXk.jpg

qjp6X0C.jpg

BawvpjM.jpg

Got a couple of 32-597 Kenda tyres coming for it & will put new chains on as the chain wheels are pretty good. Haven't checked the hub gears function yet, I hope it's OK so will at least have three gears, brakes might work with some fetling, missing the bar the cable end goes into on one side rear..........

All in all Im pretty chuffed with it, it's obviously had paint sometime in it's not too distant past & looks like it hasn't seen too much use in it 70-80? years.

wisdom

Guru
Those brakes are truly amazing.As is the engineering on it.Now that's a bike that was built to last.

OP
OP
S

stewie griffin

Über Member
The frame number on the bottom bracket isn't easy to read, however this one on the stem is!

IOfK51O.jpg

8123662, after much interwebbing I'm lead to believe the first number is the year so 38 or 48, second number being month so January or maybe 12 for December? Not so much fussed about month but anyone care to shed light on the year?
The head race is a bit indexed but is going to go back together as I've seen worse!

MlMzx5l.jpg

NWRMVhA.jpg

Worn blocks sorted with a bit of bodging..... Bottom brackets are silky smooth but coming apart for a clean & grease. I'll need to make some new brake cables which I think is going to be very challenging with the spring splitter Resilion set up.... Watch this space.

Apologies for crappy pics.

OP
OP
S

stewie griffin

Über Member
Thanks @biggs682, I have read the Retrobike thread, that is one of the places that says the first number is the year so having also found catalogues here - http://www.nkilgariff.com/ClaudButler.htm you would think it would be easy to date to 38 or 48 but both years show the same frame in not much detail plus a SWB with different added strengthening tubes...... add to that the fact they were built to order/customisable & it gets difficult, for me anyway....

The Sturmey Archer AB hub has no date stamp & as yet I have found no others.

R is before the same BB stamped frame number are well, maybe R for Racing.....haha :okay:

Last edited:
Top Bottom