Anyone identify this old tandem... Edit- USWB Claud Butler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
S

stewie griffin

Über Member
(Edit- I've taken the whole "driver" off the hub complete with the sprockets to get the spoke in so problem below alleviated.
I'd still like to know how the sprockets are held on thought...........)

I need to get the sprockets off to replace a missing spoke in the rear wheel, is it a threaded securing ring? Can someone guide me as to where to buy a tool to fit?

FXdd751.jpg

KCx779V.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

stewie griffin

Über Member
Some random pics......

n3Fcd2P.jpg

AA = 1938
rfRvJM3.jpg

kYsVt90.jpg

nonowt

Über Member
I need to get the sprockets off to replace a missing spoke in the rear wheel, is it a threaded securing ring? Can someone guide me as to where to buy a tool to fit?
SJS have a good selection of freewheel removers. It doesn't look like the Suntour 2 prong remover would fit but maybe the Regina will? You could take some measurements and ask. Otherwise a decent LBS should have a collection and could be willing to let you borrow one if you take the wheel along.

OP
OP
S

stewie griffin

Über Member
I hope you are enjoying the experience of restoring an aged Tandem
Looks like you are having fun

Yes I am enjoying it, it's just a tidy up as it sadly probably won't see much use.....

SJS have a good selection of freewheel removers. It doesn't look like the Suntour 2 prong remover would fit but maybe the Regina will? You could take some measurements and ask. Otherwise a decent LBS should have a collection and could be willing to let you borrow one if you take the wheel along.

Thank you very much @nonowt for trying to help, I now realise my question was misleading & I'm surprised no one put me right.... with it being a Sturmey Archer three speed hub it isn't really a freewheel or a cassette, I still don't know how the sprockets come off but I took off the complete "driver" or "carrier"(don't know he correct term) that the sprockets are mounted on, the Sturmey hubs freeewheel is internal & the driver came off allowing me to get spokes in.

OP
OP
S

stewie griffin

Über Member
It's all back together now & ready for a test ride. (Please ignore the crappy rack but something was needed & a friend had this kicking around & it worked, a normal rack is going to be difficult because of the ultra short chain stays).

oNtAYR4.jpg

Anything bright that was no longer bright got a coat of Smoothrite, anything still bright was left alone. Six spokes in the rear wheel, a couple of tyres, a couple of chains, couple of cotter pins, brake blocks & over 200 BBs, first time I've had to use four different sizes on one bike!

XaXz1br.jpg

The front brake works adequately but the rear was in need of a part & new cables, couple that with the splitter set up I haven't re-fitted it just relying on the hub brake that also is just adequate. Stupidly before taking it to bits I didn't check for three distinct gears, it being a Sturmey AW "Always Works", so I only found out now it's back together it only had second & third, no matter how the toggle chain is pulled first is no longer there...........
So, before I even got it all back together I had an idea, in the back of the shed I have the remains of an early electric assist bike that died, the wheels of said bike are 36 spoke 26" with a four speed Nexus & roller brakes.......

4uzqp3s.jpg

While not perfect the four speeds & decent roller brakes seem like a good idea, I think with a bit of fetling I can make them work without altering anything permanently, the rear width seems about right so that may become phase two if the Missis approves of it after a few gentle rides..... We will see.

dTxK2Cg.jpg

The modern 26" ETRTO of 559 mm as opposed to the original 26" X 1 1/4 of 597mm means a 38mm difference in diameter so 19mm lower (with the same height tyres).
Does anyone foresee a problem with this idea?

OP
OP
S

stewie griffin

Über Member
So to wrap this up here is a photo of it finished, I fitted the 26" wheels with a bit of fetling, it did end up needing the rear triangle spread a few mm's, that was a bit nerve wracking! It's all reversible.
Now a Shimano 4 speed hub with roller brakes, OK they aren't tandem wheels but it's only being used for coffee runs & we're not very heavy between us.

At least it's now being enjoyed. :smile:

FwR2X8K.jpg

And before...
0cGsTJv.jpg

Last edited:

jimfrandisco

So pleased to find this thread, even if it is 4years old. I have the same bike and struggled with restoration. Had a dodgy respray but got it all working, rode it once and then it's been in pieces for about 9years, although determined to get it going again.
My main issue was braking. Mine had the original drum brakes, which were useless and I was hoping to find someone that could weld on canti-studs, but the approach to use modern roller/drum brakes front and rear sounds a great way of doing it. I'd just assumed they wouldn't be sufficient, but sounds like they do the job.
It's pretty flat where I'd be using it, so thanks for giving me a few new ideas to try!

Top Bottom