Anyone in Portsmouth? Local info needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Hi all,

I'll be spending a night in Portsmouth in a couple of weeks time. I'll be arriving on the P&O ferry from Spain and staying at a budget hotel near Fratton railway station. I've looked at the bus routes/timetables and it seems I'll need to get a bus into the city centre and then another out to Fratton. All that is fine, but can anyone recommend somewhere to eat?

Near the hotel the eating choices seem to be limited to McDonalds and KFC so I'll probably look for something in the city centre. Is it going to be easy enough to find something reasonably priced? Anywhere I should avoid? I'm not too fussy but I'd like somewhere I won't feel out of place eating on my own.

And after I've checked in at the hotel there seems to be a park nearby (Milton Park?). Is that likely to be a pleasant place for a stroll?

Thanks

Anne

Arch

Married to Night Train
I was in Portsmouth a few weeks back and we ate in an Indian restaurant nearish the ferry terminals and sort of behind a shopping centre - I can't begin to describe how to get there though, as we perambulated a bit on the cycle route.

Nor can I remember the name.

Helpful, aren't I?

I'm googlemapping to see if I can find it...

mangaman

Head down to Albert Road. There are loads of restaurants to suit all tastes and budgets.

I agree - head south from Fratton (I wouldn't stroll in any parks around there) - Albert Road is good.

Southsea is full of restaurants and is quite nice to walk around.

Old Portsmouth is lovely, but quite a long walk.

2PedalsTez

Über Member
Not wanting to sound too cruel (or to scare you off!) I would avoid the centre of Portsmouth.
There aren't really any decent parks in Portsmouth and as previously stated Albert Road is pretty good (especially for a curry).
If you want choice and somewhere decent for a walk, then give this a go...
http://www.gunwharf-quays.com/
You will be able to get a train from Fratton straight to Portsmouth Harbour (The Hard) and this place is literally right next to the station, plus you can walk along the sea front all the way along Southsea if you fancy.
Or you could stay in Gunwharf and spend some cash in the shops and enjoy the view here http://www.spinnakertower.co.uk/.

Oh and I don't work for the local tourist board!!!

Not wanting to sound too cruel (or to scare you off!) I would avoid the centre of Portsmouth.
There aren't really any decent parks in Portsmouth and as previously stated Albert Road is pretty good (especially for a curry).
If you want choice and somewhere decent for a walk, then give this a go...
http://www.gunwharf-quays.com/
You will be able to get a train from Fratton straight to Portsmouth Harbour (The Hard) and this place is literally right next to the station, plus you can walk along the sea front all the way along Southsea if you fancy.
Or you could stay in Gunwharf and spend some cash in the shops and enjoy the view here http://www.spinnakertower.co.uk/.

Oh and I don't work for the local tourist board!!!

There's an okay park between Southsea and Portsmouth along the water front walking from the gunwharf. There's also now a spoons in Southsea I believe.

Ah you mentioned the walk to Southsea whoops.

montage

God Almighty
Hi all,

I'll be spending a night in Portsmouth in a couple of weeks time. I'll be arriving on the P&O ferry from Spain and staying at a budget hotel near Fratton railway station. I've looked at the bus routes/timetables and it seems I'll need to get a bus into the city centre and then another out to Fratton. All that is fine, but can anyone recommend somewhere to eat?

Near the hotel the eating choices seem to be limited to McDonalds and KFC so I'll probably look for something in the city centre. Is it going to be easy enough to find something reasonably priced? Anywhere I should avoid? I'm not too fussy but I'd like somewhere I won't feel out of place eating on my own.

And after I've checked in at the hotel there seems to be a park nearby (Milton Park?). Is that likely to be a pleasant place for a stroll?

Thanks

Anne

I know it pretty well, went to college there and social scene has been based there the last 3 years. However I rarely ventured into Fratton. Lodes of places to eat - if you are feeling adventurous then head to gunwharf, some great places to eat there but a little more on the expensive side. A really nice cafe near gunwharf as well which does great cooked breakfasts - if you venture over that way then give me a shout and I will try to give you some directions.

montage

God Almighty
Just read what I wrote - After promising that I was a local in the know about portsmouth I then went on to be sod all help - sorry!

[QUOTE 1128358"]
Avoid Joannas (is it still there?) in Southsea. I used to work in the Secure Psychiatric Hospital in Knowle, and we went to Joannas on a work night out once with some of the lads, mostly from Leigh Park. There was an American ship in... it wasn't a pretty night :boxing:
[/quote]

Joannas has I am afraid gone. It was never a pretty place especially with the plastic tree in the middle. As a Medic, we used to spend a lot of time referring young sailors who had been into Joannas to the STD clinics. As a result we used to spend some time in there but knew better than to take up any offers!

So have the other delightful places along this stretch of the front

Fratton is not the best of places, and is rather hit and miss - if the Chavs are out then avoid the parks, but they do not suffer from the drumks and vagrants in the same way as more central Portsmouth.

There are frequent busses to and from Southsea and Gunwharf and both are reasonable for food, but expect to pay a dividend for Gunwharf and also try and avoid the GUildhall area especially towards the late evening.

As previously mentioned Albert Road is good, especially for curry. Osbourne Road also has resturants and has a wider range of cuisine available.

mangaman

I don't like Gunwharf - a bit tacky and crap.

Southsea has some character I reckon, and some decent restaurants. And it's nearer to Fratton.

(Don't stay in Fratton too long :whistle:

Top Bottom