Anyone know about gloss paint ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Having a room decorated by a pro. Deal is I have to get materials.
He has specified Dulux 'one coat' as (he says) it really is a one coat that works.
I, in my ignorance, am thinking that surely there must be other equally good paints.
What think you ?

Tom...

Veteran
Sorry, are you asking about one coat paint or gloss paint?

We like Little Greene paint.

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
It's been a while since I used a Dulux One Coat gloss paint, it was awful!
It may have improved since then but I wouldn't specify it on a job. If you use the water based type be prepared for a low level of gloss and ensure that there is thoruogh preparation especially if going over oil based paint.
I think it odd that a 'Pro' wants to use a retail (ie non trade) paint, I'm sure One Coat is only sold in retail tins.
Whatever you use, good preparation is the key to a good long lasting finish. It's the hard dirty bit, the bit where short cuts are taken!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
My father was a painter and decorator for over 50 years. He always used Dulux and would not touch one coat paint. Your painter wants to use it for speed. If you tell him you want it undercoating and then glossing he will probably charge you twice the price for his time. If he does. Find somebody else to do it.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
It's shiny.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
In my experience, not only does it not cover as well as normal 2 coat, it never seems to last as long, Within a year or 2 it starts to lose its shine and often discolours if it's white.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
i would just paint it all myself......no way i would pay for a painter

Top Bottom