anyone know about vintage raleigh team bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidphilips

Veteran
anyone know what to look out for when buying a raleigh team bike i have seen frames on ebay for £100 plus and complete bikes for £150 to £1000? i know with raleigh bananas there are 3 types the basic 18/23 frame then the nice 531 and then the team bike,
is there only one raleigh team bike and where they all red with black

Attachments

• Hydrangeas.jpg
    Hydrangeas.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 85
  • Koala.jpg
    Koala.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 87
  • Desert.jpg
    Desert.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
They were the team colours, the ones to look out for are the frame prefix SB (built by the SBDU department in Ilkeston) as they will be true racing models, any with a W prefix will be in 531 and will be 'top end' replicas.

midlife

Guru
The "Team Colours" were a selling point for Raleigh and they used them on a massive range of frames / bikes from the Top of the range SBDU models to the very cheap and cheerful Europa........... There were Professional / Team and Team Record just to add to the mix.

Raleigh never missed an opportunity to sell something :smile:

Shaun

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
They were the team colours, the ones to look out for are the frame prefix SB (built by the SBDU department in Ilkeston) as they will be true racing models, any with a W prefix will be in 531 and will be 'top end' replicas.
The "Team Colours" were a selling point for Raleigh and they used them on a massive range of frames / bikes from the Top of the range SBDU models to the very cheap and cheerful Europa........... There were Professional / Team and Team Record just to add to the mix.

Raleigh never missed an opportunity to sell something :smile:

Shaun

SBDU is the way to go for a proper team bike or if you just want one in team colours try getting W prefixed with 531

@AndyRM thanks

@Moderators this might be better of not in the for sale section ?

gareth01244

Veteran
Graham Weigh bike shop near Chester have two team Anniversary frames for sale for £399, apparently Raleigh produced 125 of them to celebrate. Not Vintage but Might be of interest to you

OP
OP
davidphilips

davidphilips

Veteran
many thanks for the replies guys and all the imfo, would love to build up a raleight team bike and with your help i now know what to look out for.

gareth the anniversary frames sound really great must check up latter when i have time an almost new special frame for £399 from a £2000 bike sounds great will have to consider everything , many thanks again guys ttfn.

Attachments

• Chrysanthemum.jpg
    Chrysanthemum.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 75
Top Bottom