Anyone know anything about subwoofers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milo

Guru
Un ported does tend to lead to an inefficient speaker though. Got rid of a pair of 80s Cantons because my valve amp would not really handle them at higher volumes. Now have a set of Leak sandwich (not edible) speakers which are unported and very efficient.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Un ported does tend to lead to an inefficient speaker though. Got rid of a pair of 80s Cantons because my valve amp would not really handle them at higher volumes. Now have a set of Leak sandwich (not edible) speakers which are unported and very efficient.

but isn't that more a mismatch between amp and speakers rather than ported vs sealed cabinet per se?

EDIT: He's using a valve amp?!? STONE HIM!

Milo

Guru
Mostly yes. However I believe I am right in saying unported has a tendency to be less efficient than a ported design? I am by no means all that knowledgeable about these things. Not currently using a valve amp needs an overhaul as it has a buzz on one channel capacitaters worn out I think. I do not know anywhere to get the work done in Wiltshire and I cannot afford it TBH. Using a cheapo Cambridge audio amp at the mo.

Chrisz

Über Member
I seem to remember that ported/non-ported box design has something to do with the movement range of the driver and the frequency required. Ported boxes deliver deeper bass but sealed boxes "punch" harder (one rumbles the other bangs)???

We need someone with a Nova and blue LED washer jets to enlighten us LOL

Night Train

Maker of Things
Having designed and built a few enclosures in my youth for bass guitar playing my suggestion would be to suck it and see.

I would be tempted to put it on its side on top of a wall cabinet and see what it sounds like. The port at the bottom of the box could be placed against a wall leaving a gap for air movement. If it rattles the cabinet contents then try a different cabinet to put it on.

You can also just place it where you want it on the floor and put a box over it.

When it sounds the way you want it, whether it is technically right or not, stop messing and enjoy.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I seem to remember that ported/non-ported box design has something to do with the movement range of the driver and the frequency required. Ported boxes deliver deeper bass but sealed boxes "punch" harder (one rumbles the other bangs)???

We need someone with a Nova and blue LED washer jets to enlighten us LOL

Pretty good summary. Porting can be used to tune the frequency of max response.

Top Bottom