Anyone know anything about typewriters?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
My Mum has fairly recently been diagnosed with Alzheimers.
One of the things it's taken from her is the ability to write, which she loved doing.
She can type on a phone or PC though, so I was thinking of getting her a typewriter.
A laptop is no good as she'd never be able to remember how to open up old files/save files etc, with a typewriter her writing would be physically there and easier to comprehend.

Thing is, I know nothing about them, I haven't used one since School.
I assume the electric ones are easier to press the keys on, but are they simple to operate? do they use a ribbon or cartridges?
Also, are they simple switch on/off with no modes to scroll through or anything like that?

Or, is a manual one a better bet?

To put a scale on it, she's totally conversant, and copes well with everyday life but can't operate a microwave or understand the concept of time/dates if that makes sense.

So, sorry for the disjointed waffle, but can anyone recommend anything please? (assuming anyone still uses them of course)

Arch

Married to Night Train
A quick google comes up with this:

http://www.amazon.co...ASIN=B000J6DD68

which seems to be a pretty simple machine - I had something similar back when I was doing my OU degree. It just types, and remembers enough characters on the line for correction (IE, if you type a p and its wrong, you just hit correct and it automatically hits the correcting ribbon with a p, and you carry on: I think if you spot a mistake after you've moved on a line, you probably have to line it up and press the appropriate letter key alongside the correct key). No saving, or programmes or anything. A nice light touch keyboard too. Daisywheel letters, and ribbon.

It's the sort of thing you might find in a secondhand shop or charity shop, but it's not a bank breaker new anyway.

Google electronic typewriter, and avoid anything called a word processor, as thst will involve files and stuff.

I think it's a wonderful idea.

Why not contact your local Community School or Adult Education centre - They will do secretarial courses and will have all sorts of equipment, or will be able to advise as to who has. You can arrange to visit and try them out so you can see if this is the answer and what type you need without the risk of buying one "blind" to her ability to type

gbb

Legendary Member
The electric typewriters are good. My dad has a Panasonic R194 (i think) and its done him proud.
It really really cant be that complex to operate (under normal circumstances) ...he's totally blind !!! He has little rubber knobs on various keys so he can navigate around the keyboard.

Old manual ones had a fabric ribbon which tended to last for ever and would be easy to use. Electronic typwriters tened to have a plastic film type ribbon which was in some sort of cartridge and ran out fairly often. This may be a problem firstly for spares and then for your mum in use. So see how it gets its ink and how she would be able to cope with it in use.

Some electronic typwriters have (had) a bit of a word processor unit in them to spellcheck as they went but from memory these would just keep typing if you typed.

At a guess, they will be available for nothing or perhaps a pound or two in a charity shop, so perhaps have a look and see what there is. I would probably aim for the low tec style. I think as they are seen as worthless people do not even bother trying to sell them now.

They tended to be "portable" or "office" with the office ones being a bit of a lump so if she is going to put it away after use then a portable may be better.

I hope you are able to get something sorted out. It sounds a great idea to try to help a little. Good for you.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Excellent idea!

I would recommend strongly that you go for a mechanical one like this (which just happens to be the one I had right through college and beyond). Olivettis are bullet-proof, and the ribbons are still available.

The reason I'd go mechanical rather than modern is that these sorts of machines are very intuitive and easy to get the hang of. You hit to keys and you get letters on the page. The page rolls thru, and when you get to the end of it, you roll another one in. It's very *manageable*, which is repeatedly reassuring. 'I can do this'. The danger with electronic ones, no matter how good, is that everything is less obvious. Especially to people of an older generation, that's daunting.

Old-time tyepwriters are also very forgiving. You can smack them around and they don't mind a bit.

It's also physically satisfying, in a way nothing electronic could ever be! You get the whack whack whack whack as the keys hit, the 'ding!' at the end of each line, the 'ziiip' as you whizz the carriage back...in fact, I feel like going out and getting one right now!

Seriously though, it's a great idea. Setting her up now with something she can do, and enjoy, and stick with, is a really positive move.

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Thanks for all the replies, it's extremely helpful.

Why not contact your local Community School or Adult Education centre - They will do secretarial courses and will have all sorts of equipment, or will be able to advise as to who has. You can arrange to visit and try them out so you can see if this is the answer and what type you need without the risk of buying one "blind" to her ability to type

This is a great idea, but she gets very anxious and unhappy if she has to go out the house.
Personally, I think she should go out more but, as she's explained, it makes her unhappy and at her time of life she just wants to feel comfortable so I don't push her to get out any more.

The electric ones sound good, but I do wonder if the manual option would be better as she won't even have to switch it on.
She used to be a professional typist Years ago, so I'd hope that she'd cope fine with a decent manual one.
I'll do some investigation and see what's available and how straightforward modern ones are.

Thanks again,

Chris.

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I like this bit
biggrin.gif

I clearly remember as a kid the whack, whack whizz as reams of paper would spew from her typewriter!

Cubist

Still wavin'
Fleabay has loads on, and not for silly money either. Great idea Panter.

A manual one would probably be good for its simplicity. I have never used one though, so I can't comment much :sad:.

I have a Brother AX425 which is similar to the AX100 but has a small LCD screen to show the current function, and to let you type a line of text on the screen, then it will print the line at the end.

The ribbon cartridge is a carbon ribbon which gives a nice print and can be erased with correction tape. It doesn't last very long as it can only be used once. But ink ribbons are available.

I do find it nice and easy to use - easier than a word processor, and I am a competent user of word processors. The daisy wheel mechanism is VERY noisy. My mother described it as being like a machine gun. I've no idea though how a daisy wheel printer compares to a mechanical typewriter in terms of noise.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering

I'm not sure that the original poster will get much joy there. Word processors elbowed typewriters out of the way in schools and colleges a couple of decades ago. Most typing teachers will be long retired and the current teaching staff will never have had to use a typewriter so will not be in a position to offer help.

Currently there's very few new no manual typewriters available. They are complex mechanical devices and more expensive to manufacture than electric ones. However here's a link to a manual one for just over a £100. I'm genuinely surprised that they are still available. I was typing this up as I was searching for new mechanical typewriters - the source that I thought I'd found had sold out.

Buying second hand might be a risk because if the typewriter has a fault then finding someone able to service/repair it will be a problem.

In the light of the lack of new machines s/h seems to be the only choice for mechanical typewriters.

Globalti

Legendary Member
My Dad had Alzheimer's. I remember sitting with him and trying to teach him how to type with my Amstrad. I discovered that in the very short term he was capable of remembering simple things.

Did you know that the sportswear textile Pertex is typewriter ribbon?

Arch

Married to Night Train
I went into Oxfam yesterday, and they had two manual typewriters! So a hunt round charity shops might pay off.

(Also, 5 old sewing machines, I suspect someone's been clearing out a collection.)

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Charity shops is a good idea. But if time is an issue, I would recommend ebay, as they seem to come up all the time, and cheap. Even with delivery (they're heavy) you should be able to get a decent one for £20, with change. And if it did go wrong, don't worry about servicing: just chuck it and get another.

If my experience with my Dad (who had Alzheimers) is anything to go by, anything with LED screens and the like is liable to induce panic/freeze. One of the classic hallmarks of the disease is an inability to get to grips with anything new, especially any new process. (My dad never got to grips with a mobile phone, because you can't just pick it up and dial - you have to dial *then press a button*. Not too challenging, you might think - but it was enough to foil him because it wasn't what he was used to.) Familiarity and obviousness are at an absolute premium.

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Thanks all, have been keeping an eye out on ebay but have been snookered on two counts now as 1) we're on holiday next week and 2) EDF energy helped themselves to the contents of my bank account!

The money has now been returned but I don't now have enough time to sort one out before we go so I'll pick one up when we return.

I'll go for a quality mechanical one, assuming I find one where the spare ribbons are still available.

thanks again,

Top Bottom