Anyone know anything about wifi routers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've got the puny little Sagemcom router supplied by my ISP.
It's OK in the house.
I use a turbo in the garage and that works via an app on my phone. Eats bandwidth so I use wifi.
But signal is not strong or reliable in garage. Three brick walls in the way. Running cables from router to :okay:garage is impractical.

Do I get a new powerful router, and if so what is best? Are they easy to set up?
Or do I go for a powerline thing, plug into router and use wiring to carry signal.

Don't view films, stream or game on it. Have no idea on tech specs or language.

Anyone been this way before?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You could get a powerline wifi booster, runs data down the power sockets to the garage, and wifi or ethernet in there. Thats about the cheapest option assuming you have power in the garage. Just name the network home-ext or some such where your home wifi is named home. Needs to be a slightly different name so you know you are on the nearer wifi.

More expensive is to go with a mesh system.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Thanks. Never heard of mesh!
Google time methinks.

My Mesh is with BT. Its the main router, then two extender discs. Router in one corner of lounge, disc in opposite corner and another in my garage. That gives me seamless wifi through the house, gardens, garage and summer house. For Zwift, I connect a computer via ethernet to a seperate powerline wifi adapter. I just turned off the wifi when I got mesh, but kept the pc on the powerline as it doesnt have wifi

midlife

Guru
Loads of companies do them, unifi are meant to be very good but not easy to set up. Google have bought a company and got some under their name which are meant to be OK.

OP
OP
D

Darius_Jedburgh

Veteran
So, excuse my ignorance...
Mesh is a new main router. My desk top PC is wired into it and the rest of the house runs on the WIFI provided.
In the garage I have a disc, presumably plugged into the mains only. Somehow that talks to the router.
I run my turbo from my phone app. Might get a tablet for bigger screen. Don't have laptop, but Tacx do a good app with routes to follow. Suits my needs.

Can't see my isp providing anything, and if they do it will be bottom of the range.

Can you suggest a simple system that a numpty like me can install? I don't understand the lingo but can follow clear instructions.

OP
OP
D

Darius_Jedburgh

Veteran
Just bought one of these from argos so my son can get wifi for his ps4 in a remote corner.

Works very well.

Damn confusing to work out what would be the best option.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/5585575
Thanks. I had seen those. Now this mesh system has my tiny brain spinning.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I've got the puny little Sagemcom router supplied by my ISP.
It's OK in the house.
I use a turbo in the garage and that works via an app on my phone. Eats bandwidth so I use wifi.
But signal is not strong or reliable in garage. Three brick walls in the way. Running cables from router to garage is impractical.

Do I get a new powerful router, and if so what is best? Are they easy to set up?
Or do I go for a powerline thing, plug into router and use wiring to carry signal.

Don't view films, stream or game on it. Have no idea on tech specs or language.

Anyone been this way before?
put the turbo in the sitting room... if anyone complains, send them to the garage :okay:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
This mesh system would be ideal - simple to setup and use. You plug one box into your router and then the other 2 around the house / garage. It sets up a new wifi network for you to replace the one put out by your router. The beauty of this is once you have added your devices to this new network, each time you change ISP you don't need to reconfigure anything.

Top Bottom