Anyone know how to get a seat post unstuck?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
At which point you find the seatpost is stuck. Which is exactly the problem the poster is asking for help with ...
OP says "I've put a new gruppo on an old bike frame" - my off topic comment, Matt, was that to do so without even checking the seatpost was OK (would move) is/was unusual.

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
Right everyone. I took the advice and went to see the Seat Post Man and I'm bloody glad I did. What are the odds on BOTH my recent requests regarding bike problems I had being satisfied by people living in Chorley, 18 miles from my front door? Either or both of them could have lived from Out Stack on Shetland to Lizard Point but no, BOTH of them live in Chorley! I'm amazed by that.

Anyway, while I was using my legs for climbing in Wales, John, the Seat Post Man was fettling my seat post and a good job he did too. Actually faster than I needed it so I'm well pleased with that. I'd strongly recommend him to anyone with a similar problem because he's done an estimated 10,000 of these and reckons anyone with well-meaning advice should be roundly ignored on the basis they've done maybe one or two in their time and got lucky or possibly watched a youtube video and know precisely nothing about the subject. And on seeing the evidence, I strongly agree with him.

Gunk

Guru
I’ve removed a couple of stuck seat posts by removing the wheels and seat. Then stick the post in a vice and very gently use the frame as leverage.

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
£800,000 for removing 10,000 seat posts? Nice work if you can get it 👍
Nice maths - if you can do it! How do you work that out? Unless he did 40 straightforward single seat-post removals per working day for the last year, then your £800,000 figure is just a speculative shot in the dark.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Nice maths - if you can do it! How do you work that out? Unless he did 40 straightforward single seat-post removals per working day for the last year, then your £800,000 figure is just a speculative shot in the dark.
I think you said he done 10000.......:laugh::laugh:

he's definitely recovered the cost of developing his jig!

Reactions: C R

Big John

Guru
10,000 @ £80 a throw, unless he's lying about prices on his website, makes £800k in my book. Maybe you need a calculator. Or maybe the 10,000 seat post claim was a tad ambitious.

Reactions: C R
10,000 @ £80 a throw, unless he's lying about prices on his website, makes £800k in my book. Maybe you need a calculator. Or maybe the 10,000 seat post claim was a tad ambitious.
Jeez, who cares??

Use him if you want to - there are plenty of customer reviews here and elsewhere, make your own mind up. (it's hard to argue that he hasn't done A Lot; whether his service is value for money is for the buyer to judge, as with most services in the Western World!)

I don't care if he's done 1000 or 100,000, if he's a hermit in a bikeshed or a billionaire.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Right everyone. I took the advice and went to see the Seat Post Man and I'm bloody glad I did. What are the odds on BOTH my recent requests regarding bike problems I had being satisfied by people living in Chorley, 18 miles from my front door? Either or both of them could have lived from Out Stack on Shetland to Lizard Point but no, BOTH of them live in Chorley! I'm amazed by that.

Anyway, while I was using my legs for climbing in Wales, John, the Seat Post Man was fettling my seat post and a good job he did too. Actually faster than I needed it so I'm well pleased with that. I'd strongly recommend him to anyone with a similar problem because he's done an estimated 10,000 of these and reckons anyone with well-meaning advice should be roundly ignored on the basis they've done maybe one or two in their time and got lucky or possibly watched a youtube video and know precisely nothing about the subject. And on seeing the evidence, I strongly agree with him.

Do I get commission ?

Never been myself, but a colleague took his carbon framed MTB with a stuck dropper post - even more difficult to get out.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

The guy has been doing it years, so £800k for a business over years isn't much, £80k pa over 10 years ?

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
I’ve removed a couple of stuck seat posts by removing the wheels and seat. Then stick the post in a vice and very gently use the frame as leverage.
This is EXACTLY the wrong thing to do. Unless t
He was charging £80 a throw when he began was he? Maths not your strong point so a calculator probably won't be coming to your rescue.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Is this the usual Cyclechat complaint about price? A pound for a cup of tea? I can buy a box of 100 for £1 in Poundland. Talk about rip-off Britain.

Top Bottom