Anyone Live in Guernsey?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norry1

Legendary Member
I am being offered a role in Guernsey by my employer. It will be well funded so cost of living not an issue. What are the pro's and cons of living on the island?

Thanks in advance.

Martin

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have not been to Guernsey. But the bank I worked for offered me a job on the Isle od Man. I thought it was a wnderful idea. Accomodation was provided free of charge, a pay rise and a promotion.

I booked a 5 day holiday on the island to see what it was like. After 3 days I was getting cabin fever and could not wait for the ferry to arrive to get me off. It was like stepping back in time.

Before you agree to go, I suggest you go and pay the island a visit for a few days. It may be different for you. But I could not take to it.

slowwww

Veteran
A friend of ours moved there with his family about 8 years ago, initially on a 3 year secondment. He's in financial services and after grave misgivings before going he has changed employers since in order to stay on the island and so I guess that shows how much they love it!

They say it's a combination of well-paid jobs and good quality of life given the ability to be on the beach within 5 minutes of finishing work. Sounds compelling!

kiwifruit

Über Member
I live in Guernsey in the 90s when I was in my 20s. I can recall I moved out there roughly this time of the year and it was quite depressing and stepping back in time. I just wanted to come back to the UK. As an outsider (not Guernsey born) the housing law are pretty strict. We had to rent an open market property which is 4 or 5 times the cost as a local person and on the highest banding. There's not much to do unless you like drinking. Driving is 30mph and in summer is 20mph you could drive around the island in 35-40 mins. Cost of living I thought was pretty expensive unless you smoke or drink. During the summer you could take a boat trip to the island of Sark and Herm which is amazing, but after 2 or 3 times you probably get bored. As @steveindenmark suggest take a trip there and see for yourself things might have change since I was there.

OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member
What do your family think? If you do visit, make sure you take them too

Yep, next step, assuming we are interested is for us to make one or two funded visits there to see what we think. I was interested in views of anyone who lives there - to get their perspective.

vickster

Legendary Member
I have a friend from Jersey. He lives in London to be somewhere with a bit of life!

Are the people you’ll be working with from Guernsey or the mainland? Talk to them in the first instance.

Is the money so good that it could change your life plans wrt retirement etc? If so, throw that consideration into the mix :smile:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I have known a few people who worked in small places, but not Guernsey.
You often end up with a very blurred work/life balance as almost everyone you know socially is a colleague or customer, it can get very cliquey.
I was offered a posting in Oman (its geographically bigger but the actual community of expats is small) after spending 6 weeks out there on secondment. If i was 10 years younger and single with no kids I would have done it. But it didnt suit me with a young family. The tax free income would be nice but not life changing unless they offer you a crazy package.

Top Bottom