Anyone out there with a NOOK?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
'er indores is thinking about a new ereader, and I've been looking at listings for the NOOK, which make it sound pretty good - and very good VFM, compared with a Kindle. Does anyone have one? Any thoughts? How does it compare when it comes to buying books? Price-wise, selections, other? Any thoughts much appreciated.

U

User482

Yes, my wife has one. Its advantage over the Kindle is we can download books from the library for free. Buying books from the store is straightforward once its set up, and its nice to use, but I've nothing to compare it to in terms of selection. They did have "Gironimo" by Tim Moore so it can't be all bad...

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
'The library'? Sorry, which library? Forgive my ignorance, but this sounds like something definitely worth checking out, and I've not come across it.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
The kindle also has a library where you can borrow books. And there are thousands of free books on the Kindle as well. I don't have any experience of the nook. How much are they?

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The kindle also has a library where you can borrow books. And there are thousands of free books on the Kindle as well. I don't have any experience of the nook. How much are they?
Argos has the basic NOOK at the moment for £49, and it gets very good reviews. It also has (which raised my initial interest) a backlight included, so you can still read it in full sunlight, but you can also read it in bed. And the battery still lasts for ever - a month or so, apparently.

welsh dragon

The battery will only last a month if you only read for 30 mins a day. The kindle 6 in is only about £25.00 more expensive than the nook, and amzon have many more books to choose from. Cheapest isn't always the best.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The battery will only last a month if you only read for 30 mins a day. The kindle 6 in is only about £25.00 more expensive than the nook, and amzon have many more books to choose from. Cheapest isn't always the best.
Ok, I'm not that bothered about a month - I was only saying it seems to last for ages. But availability of books is an issue, which was the kind of thing I was curious about.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
'The library'? Sorry, which library? Forgive my ignorance, but this sounds like something definitely worth checking out, and I've not come across it.
The Kobo also allows download of library books. That's all I use mine for - I've never bought an e-book. I believe that Amazon refused to do a deal with UK libraries although you can get library books in the US.

I've had mine for 18 months - second hand from ebay. It's the basic Touch model. I use it all the time. I plug it in to the PC to charge but a charge lasts for ages.

Worth a look if the library book download is important to you.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Oh, and I know about the reading in the light...it was the ability to read in no light that caught my eye.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The Kobo also allows download of library books. That's all I use mine for - I've never bought an e-book. I believe that Amazon refused to do a deal with UK libraries although you can get library books in the US.

I've had mine for 18 months - second hand from ebay. It's the basic Touch model. I use it all the time. I plug it in to the PC to charge but a charge lasts for ages.

Worth a look if the library book download is important to you.
But where is this 'library'? Is it like a government thing?

welsh dragon

Ok, I'm not that bothered about a month - I was only saying it seems to last for ages. But availability of books is an issue, which was the kind of thing I was curious about.

What do you want to know about the books themselves?

welsh dragon

But where is this 'library'? Is it like a government thing?

No. It's amazons own library. You can borrow one book at a time. Once you send the one back, you can borrow another. You can also lend books you have bought from amazon. I mean you can lend books to other people you know if you want

Top Bottom