Anyone recognise my latest project?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PoweredByVeg

Über Member
gallery_15489_192_12062.jpg

Does anyone have any idea what this bike used to be :wacko:

It's going to be a single speed eventually but I was wondering if anyone recognised it? It used to be red, and I can't really make out that name on the downtube, and it looks like there's something down the seat tube too.

Bigsharn

Veteran
Looks a very similar shape and size to my Raleigh Equipe... It could easily be a Peugeot racer though, I had a friend who had a red one, the Raleigh and Peugeot are practically the same bike :tongue:

OP
OP
PoweredByVeg

PoweredByVeg

Über Member
Picked it up at the weekend, it's a gas pipe special, italian (cottered) BB, Balilla brakes, Dia-Compe brake levers, GB bars, nice Normandy front hub.

Frame is a bit shite so I'll just hand paint it. Brakes, bars, levers will all be polished. Single speed f/w, but the spoke nipples are a bit seized to re-dish the wheel............mmmmmmm :whistle:. Got a nice SR stem to go on, that was a freebie.

Anyone got a cottered crank going??

This is my first foray into doing a renovation job, I reckon I'll keep a look out for a better frame and swap parts over, but in the meantime I'll just play with this :thumbsup:

Oh yeah, meant to say it just had "CLASSIC" on the downtube/seat tube and a number on the l/h dropout, nothing good :tongue:

cameramanjim

Getting faster, very slowly
Picked it up at the weekend, it's a gas pipe special, italian (cottered) BB, Balilla brakes, Dia-Compe brake levers, GB bars, nice Normandy front hub.

Frame is a bit shite so I'll just hand paint it.

Noooooo! Hand painting ain't worth it. Just completed my Rossin rebuild and the sandblast and powdercoat was only around £70.00 and well worth it. http://rossinproject.blogspot.com/

OP
OP
PoweredByVeg

PoweredByVeg

Über Member
Noooooo! Hand painting ain't worth it. Just completed my Rossin rebuild and the sandblast and powdercoat was only around £70.00 and well worth it. http://rossinproject.blogspot.com/

Believe me, the chainstays are holed where they meet the BB, rusted where water has pooled around the chainstay bridge, so I aint chucking 70 squid at it no how!

This'll just be something to play about with for zero expense 'til something better turns up LOL!

OP
OP
PoweredByVeg

PoweredByVeg

Über Member
Stripped the paint off the frame with a wire wheel in an angle grinder, then rubbed it down. Gave it 2 coats of red oxide and it'll get 3 coats of red enamel, not looking that bad for a hand job (fnarr fnarr!):biggrin:

F/hub polished up lovely and spins nice. F/rim chrome all rusty, rear hub fell apart when I stripped the wheel/spokes, so the rear alloy rim got a good polish and is now radially laced to front hub with nice stainless spokes.:thumbsup:

Just got to source a rear track/ss hub and an alloy 27" rim :whistle:
gallery_15489_192_29590.jpg

Brakes have had a good polish too, plus stainless dome nuts.

gallery_15489_192_445950.jpg

Top Bottom