Anyone rescued a Greyhound?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
We're considering it, as a possibility as I've only heard good things about them.

However, they do seem a little souless, or is that just my impression?

Friends of ours have not long taken one in, she's lovely, very placid and friendly but just seems to lack that "dogyness" you get with other breeds, if you know what I mean...

Anyone have one?

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Our next door neighbour rescued one, It mauled another dog whilst over our local fields, a cat down the road and killed one of our cats. So I am not a great fan. I'm sure they are not all bad, but they are trained to chase and catch.

Shaun

Founder
I don't think they have that "fussines" for want of a better word.

Is there a particular reason you want to rescue a Greyhound, or is it that one is in need of a home and you want to help out?

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

The family next door have one, and they got that to replace one they had before that died of old age.

Lovely dog. Taking it for walks can be fun apparently, they are best kept on the lead unless you can run fast.

Globalti

Legendary Member
No fun, not family friendly and they whine all night.

Might be OK though if you're in the habit of taking your dog out MTBing.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I wouldn't say they are soulless. They can be quite affectionate dogs to have around. The only caveats I'd offer are that they can be quite highly strung and skittish so i'd keep it on lead when you're out.

And good luck if you decide to go ahead. I'd have one but I unfortunately don't have the space or the time to keep one properly exercised.

taxing

My uncle had two, and I agree about them seeming soulless. I always imagined that being his pet was just a minimum wage job for them, and after he went to bed they'd return to their greyhound families and complain about work.

They wrecked his house and constantly want long walks, by the way.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
My mum had one about 25 years ago. Ex racing doggie. Lovely affectionate doggy he was, (Mutley we called him). Though do agree with what some of the other posters have said. They are very skittish, do whine a bit if on their own. And need a heck of a lot of exercise (or they DO like a lot of exercise).

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Thanks all.

Re the excercise, the Greyhound rescue trust claim that in actual fact they need very little, two 20 minute walks a day with the occassional run. They're sprinters, not endurance runners and wouldn't (from what I've read) keep up with a MTB for very long before collapsing. Apparenty, dog races are around 30 seconds long so the dogs (I guess) are running completly anaerobically.

The reason we're thinking of one is that we both work, although my Wife only works a few Hours a day. For this reason, we'd ruled out having another dog until it came to light that Greyhounds are ideal in this situation, as they love to sleep all day.

They seem to be ideal, it's just the lifelessness that puts me off a bit but I guess they change as they settle in.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Thanks all.

For this reason, we'd ruled out having another dog until it came to light that Greyhounds are ideal in this situation, as they love to sleep all day.

....and whine all fecking night, as we can testify having had drug dealing scum move in next door with two of these, which they used for lamping. They put the miserable shivering whining scrawny beasts in the shed next to out garden wall, outside our bedroom window. Every time a customer came to their house during the night to buy drugs their alsatian would bark like hell and the two greyhounds would bark and whine, driven mad by anxiety at all the disturbance. The smell of dog shite and urine festering in their garden used to waft in our window, when it wasn't closed to keep out the black greasy smoke from the bonfires on which they would burn drugs packaging late at night, or the sound of yet another all-night rave with some loud noise on the stereo set to play again and again and again....

Get a proper dog like a Wiemaraner or a Retriever or Labrador.

Sambu

They're lovely dogs my uncle has two and they give allot of attention and fuss over me constantly! they do have the chase instinct but so do loads of dogs!

....and whine all fecking night, as we can testify having had drug dealing scum move in next door with two of these, which they used for lamping. They put the miserable shivering whining scrawny beasts in the shed next to out garden wall, outside our bedroom window. Every time a customer came to their house during the night to buy drugs their alsatian would bark like hell and the two greyhounds would bark and whine, driven mad by anxiety at all the disturbance. The smell of dog shite and urine festering in their garden used to waft in our window, when it wasn't closed to keep out the black greasy smoke from the bonfires on which they would burn drugs packaging late at night, or the sound of yet another all-night rave with some loud noise on the stereo set to play again and again and again....

Get a proper dog like a Wiemaraner or a Retriever or Labrador.

So, not too objective an opinion then........

Don't like 'em myself Panter, not objectionable dogs but either docile or excitable and yappy and gawd help any small furry animals they see, keep them on the lead near cats and squirrels. I heard they often have problems with their coat too, needs a lot of attention to keep it in good condition.

Edit: You need Michaelm to give you a proper opinion, I'm sure he's got a rescue or two. If he doesn't see the thread PM him.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Many years ago I stayed in a house where the owner had 2 rescue greyhounds, one an ex-poacher's dog, the other an ex-racing dog, both females.

The ex-poacher's dog was very friendly, confident, trusting, and energetic, but equally happy to follow you round the house, garden or just lie curled up in a corner and watch you go about your business. Any sign of me putting my running shoes on (she knew the difference), and she'd start running in circles round the very small room, getting really excited. I had to take the lead, as it was out in the country, full of rabbits, hares & pheasants. If she was off the lead and spotted something, you had a split-second to see her ears prick up and tell her to stay, otherwise she would mysteriously go deaf and try to do her previous "job"! A great dog, she used to go on long walks into the emptiest parts of the Highlands, never really tiring.

The ex-racing dog was very different, really timid and would flinch at a loud noise or raised voice, tail between the legs and sometimes start shivering with fear, clearly she hadn't had a very happy previous life. It took a long time for her to get used to the idea that she didn't have to be afraid of humans, and it was lovely to watch the other dog, much smaller than her, take her under her wings, take the lead at any mischief (like fetching a freshly baked cake off the kitchen table and make all traces of it disappear, down to the last crumb!), and look after her. The ex-racer was much faster, but, in typical sprinter's style, tired out much faster. It was hilarious when she started gaining confidence and imitated the other dog in the small-circles-round-the-kitchen-excitement when taken out for runs, and then seemed embarrased, like she was not really sure she was doing it right. Also a lovely dog, but needing lots of TLC to recover from past mistreatment.

Also very funny when a new kitten arrived in the household, at first it was kept in a large caged run, to get the dogs used to it. Once we were certain they had understood the wee cat wasn't a new toy for them, we introduced them to each other. The dogs understood and were very patient (rolling eyes and looking at you as if to say, do we really have to put up with this?, and the odd surprised yelp), even though the cat practiced its ambushing skills on them, jumping off armchairs and hiding round corners and grabbing their legs & tails - with no retaliation whatsoever. They all curled up regularly, and all seemed to be equals.

Oops, getting a bit nostalgic here ... in summary, both very intelligent and sensitive, able to read moods and keen to please, very easy to keep in small spaces, as long as they get a daily run, probably not really needing long walks. A bit cat-like in some ways, rather than clumsy like Labs etc. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to get a rescue greyhound, if I could provide them the right home...

T

Top Bottom