Anyone running a freeview box off an indoor aerial?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
The repeater may not be transmitting freeview, many of them are reserved for analogue until that goes. If certain channels are flakey on Waltham I can understand. Multiplex C and D are only running on 60% of the power from the transmitter the others are so I'd expect problems with Dave, E4+1, sky3, Sky News, Virgin 1, Film4, TMF channels like that. It doesn't seem to work out that way in practice though always. 50% is about what you need, lower than that and it starts stuttering and cutting out. Mind you the field strength seemed to be very strong in the central leicester postcode I put it, I can see why it might work on an indoor aerial.

You got any wardrobes you could put a log periodic aerial on top of, I reckon that'd work as there's enough gain where you are and it's promising you're getting decent signal strength on some channels.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
marinyork said:
You got any wardrobes you could put a log periodic aerial on top of, I reckon that'd work as there's enough gain where you are and it's promising you're getting decent signal strength on some channels.
Cheers for the info. I could put the aerial on a wardrobe or summat. What is this log periodic aerial of which you speak and where can I get one?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Log periodics look like Yagis, but they don't have reflectors on and you just have dipole, dipole, dipole in a line. They are (usually) large (and thin), much larger than some of the puny indoor ones you get but you can slide them onto the tops of wardrobes and other things. Maplin do them and most places that sell more than a few aerials do, I know someone that works at maplin although I doubt they are on sale :ohmy:. They are good as you get the gain although less specific than a rooftop aerial but you don't get everything else interfering with it like crazy like some indoor aerials do. I had about 4 indoor aerials. They were all pants compared to the log periodic one. Strangely enough the 2.99 one worked better than some of the other indoor ones.

Top Bottom