Anyone seen this bike before

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Cheers for the reply I hope it's a good bike only paid £200
I think you maybe paid a bit much, though these are odd times.
But over the length of time it will serve you (maybe a lifetime) still a better buy than many many things.
And definitely many new things.
Enjoy it - I don't know how experienced you are with bike mechanics but plenty of folk on here will be able to help you with anything that needs sorting.
If its not teaching you to suck eggs, first thing I'd do is get the stem and seatpost out.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Cheers for the reply I hope it's a good bike only paid £200
It is quite old so might have had a bit of use. You can do a few basic checks yourself so you don't have problems.
Hold the front brake on and push the handlebars to and fro. Any play felt here may indicate worn head bearings or adjustment.
Spin the wheels to see if they are true and listen for any noise from the hubs. Pushng the rims side to side will expose any bearing play too. Are spokes tight?
Push the cranks from side to side, anything more than slight play may be wear.
Check the brake blocks are in good condition and brake operation is sharp and the lever doesn't come back too far. I'd always change the cables, the inners at least, on any older bike new to me.
Do the gears shift cleanly and easily?
Check the tyres for signs of perishing and wear.
Good luck and enjoy.

The Firewood in the background would probably cost more and won't last as long. So a bargain. As an aside where was the picture taken and do they have CCTV?

OP
OP
TAV

TAV

Guru
I've done a mechanics course on bikes so will have a look when it turns up the guy I bought it off said he took the bike to Halfords for a service. The cables have been changed and the tyres look new, so that's a good start and he's throwing in a pair of pennies so fingers crossed the frame looks good with no corrosion. And to answer the question about cctv I don't know.

OP
OP
TAV

TAV

Guru
Not only steel, but I think I can see lugwork in the photo, so brazed steel. I would suspect it will be either some sort of generic cro-moly, if not a Reynolds tubeset. Sensible wheelbase, comfortable sized tyres, plus mudguards and a proper quill road stem. The sort of machine that, once set up right, can be ridden for hours without crippling discomfort. What's not to like?
What do you mean set up properly do you mean bike fit?

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
What do you mean set up properly do you mean bike fit?

No, I simply mean the bike is well fitted DIY to the rider, and the owner takes some time and mileage to keep tweaking it a little here and there until it doesn't get any better. I'm not a big believer in formal bike fitting, although I accept that there are some professional ones who take doing a good job seriously.
I've owned and ridden quite a few different bikes over the years and my set up criteria is purely comfort driven. I am not trying to achieve optimal aerodynamics combined with maximum power output, unlike a lot of riders who do seem to believe in bike fits.

Yeah your right I know my measurements but not sure about stack height for handlebars for long touring rides.
I'm not that techie but I think "stack-height" refers to certain dimensions of the headset, not how far the bars are raised.
Just be careful if raising the bars that you don't pull the stem out beyond the minimum insert mark.
Some of my old ones are very short.
If you needed to, you can always get another.
The beauty of threaded headset bikes is of course the ease of adjustability.

OP
OP
TAV

TAV

Guru
Yeah I'll have to measure the distance from the bottom of the stem just to make are I'm not crunched over to much, and I'll have to check the limit mark on the stem fingers crossed it will be ok.cheers for all the advice.

OP
OP
TAV

TAV

Guru
Saying that the bike is a 56cm frame so you would have thought that they would have had a stem long enough for a person which the bike was designed for, especially for touring.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Saying that the bike is a 56cm frame so you would have thought that they would have had a stem long enough for a person which the bike was designed for, especially for touring.

It depends how close you are to the size envisaged by the designer. if you are right at the bottom end, so have the saddle down with very little seatpost on show, I doubt bar height adjustment will be a problem. On the other hand if your height is borderline for the next size up but you are riding the smaller size frame then you may struggle to get the bars high enough unless you go out and obtain a stem which is taller.
I normally ride 23/23 1/2" road frames, but I do have one that is 22 1/2", which means both the seatpost and the handlebar stem are right at the safety limit of their adjustment. If I wanted either any higher, I would have to replace them with longer items. I wouldn't ordinarily have bought a frame as small as 22 1/2" but the sizing wasn't correctly described, it was fairly local, and it was very cheap for 531, so I had to second guess the size from a photo and take a punt. It worked out OK, but only just. If it was gas pipe I would not have gone for it, but for 531 the sizing compromise was worth the risk.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TAV

TAV

Guru
I went down the garage to measure my bike frame that I've been using for ages and it's a 54cm I always wounded why my seat height was so high. I bought the bike off one of my mates and I never measured it. I did ask on this occasion about the size of the Edinburgh country and he said it was a 56cm that's my size as I'm 5ft 10, I thought the seat was low on the photo but it's because I've been riding a bike frame which is to small for me.

Just one as I'm going to use it for audax and touring how high should the stem be for a comfortable position.

I went down the garage to measure my bike frame that I've been using for ages and it's a 54cm I always wounded why my seat height was so high. I bought the bike off one of my mates and I never measured it. I did ask on this occasion about the size of the Edinburgh country and he said it was a 56cm that's my size as I'm 5ft 10, I thought the seat was low on the photo but it's because I've been riding a bike frame which is to small for me.

Just one as I'm going to use it for audax and touring how high should the stem be for a comfortable position.

I hope you don’t mind me saying, the bike in the picture looks a lot smaller than a 56. I’m no expert so apologies if I’m wrong

Top Bottom