Anyone shop at Farmfoods ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Particularly ready meals (frozen) or chilled.
Health problems are pushing us towards ready meals.
Anyone tried Farmfoods ?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
They are similar to Iceland, usually a bit bigger.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Not for food, but do get my branded catfood and my crates of pepsimax from them in bulk every few months. Sign up for emails and download discount vouchers like £5 off £60 spend and £2 off £25. These vouchers can be used in multiples, hence why I go in and often spend over £100 in a go on bulk shopping. :okay:

Particularly ready meals (frozen) or chilled.
Health problems are pushing us towards ready meals.
Anyone tried Farmfoods ?

I use ready meals a lot - not because of any particular health issues, but simply because when I was severely VI it was easier and safer for me to use them, rather than cook on a daily basis, and that made me realise how much I disliked routine daily cooking, and have got better things to do with my time. Also the range of chilled and frozen ready meals has improved by leaps and bounds in the past decade.

You don't need a bog-standard 'meat and three veg' to be perfectly well nourished and eat delicious food. If you want something hot, don't forget that there are lots of nice ready-made soups; a hearty soup with a bread roll, followed by a helping of yoghurt and fresh or cooked fruit, makes a good meal with minimal preparation time.

What you get will depend on whether you can still go shopping on a regular basis, or if you need deliveries, your personal preferences, your budget and your dietary requirements. Obvs if you can still go shopping in person, you can check your own 'bb' dates and change your eating plans on the fly, as it were. If you need deliveries, you'll probably be looking at more frozen meals rather than the chilled ones. There are also a growing number of dishes which can be stored for long periods at ambient temperature; I have just bought one which is a 'Spiced Chickpea and Lentil Bowl', Quorn branded and bought in Aldi. It has a full year's shelf life and I'll probably have it with rice or a (microwave) baked potato.

I do my own shopping and use chilled or frozen ready-meals about three or four times a week. I am ovo-lacto vegetarian/pescatarian and watch my budget.

FWIW, I've not tried Farmfoods frozen meals and I don't like many of Iceland's frozen meals. I like a lot of Lidl's frozen meals, some of Aldi's chilled ones. I do like Aldi's prepared salads. Morrison's do a good range of chilled ready meals, many of which I've enjoyed, Asda ditto. If you're in the northwest, and have a Booths nearby, have a look at their ready meals. Obviously they are more expensive than the major supermarkets and the discounters, but some of them are really, really delicious. They used to do a vegetarian lasagne which was very good indeed, and a salmon with new potatoes in a dill sauce. YUM! I've not been to Booths for a while though, so I don't know if they're still doing the same ones. I usually add extra veggies - if frozen, cooked in the microwave during the main dish's 'standing time' - or a couple of sliced tomatoes.

The days when I don't have a 'ready meal', I'll have a bought salad - I like Aldi's salads - or something 'easy'. I like a (microwave) baked potato with 'things' in it - prawn cocktail, a mixture of cheeses, butter and shreds of smoked salmon etc. Or I will make a frittata sort of thing in a tiny pan on the hob - egg, onions, left-over veggies, bit of left-over curry, squirt of tomato paste - and have it with rice or couscous, or in the baked potato... Cheese on toast with onions and sliced tomatoes is another light meal, needs a pudding or a nice chocolate biscuit to follow!

I do like my puddings; custard is always made in the microwave in the bowl I'm going to eat it in then I dump in the individual jam sponge or fruit crumble. I make the sponges and crumbles - sponges in old handle-less cups in the microwave and the crumbles are toasted under the grill, on foil, spread on top of the pre-cooked fruit and the entire thing heated up in the microwave. But all the supermarkets, discounters included, do individual servings of steamed puddings and crumbles, either chilled or shelf-stable, and individual tubs/small helpings of custard which keep practically for ever. I usually keep one of the 4-packs of individual tubs of custard from Lidl in my store cupboards, in case I'm running short of milk when I fancy some custard!

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Many many years ago I used to shop in farm foods. From what I can remember, it wasn't bad. Very similar to Iceland. The prices were always reasonable. I have no idea about the prices now though.

I'd rather go to Iceland, and if you are a pensioner, shop on Tuesday's and get 10% off your shopping..

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Don’t go regularly but I do know somebody who does and finds their seafood very good. He always has something handy even tho’ a good cook and access to fresh meat and his own garden veg.
If he recommends them I tend to believe him so far as food is concerned.

Gwylan

Veteran
https://www.cookfood.net/

This firm does some good frozen meals. Not tried their delivery service, as there are quite a few shops in our area where we can browse and choose. But food is good.

+1 for Cook!
They do a delivery service if you make a big order.
Generally good quality - that's my opinion

vickster

Legendary Member
Of the supermarkets, Waitrose have the best ready meals IME and can often be found on yellow sticker (If not fussy/vegetarian) if you have a branch close by, stock up and freeze. Scope out local shops for when they have the most/best reductions

Top Bottom