Anyone Think This A Teeny Bit Bizarre?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex H

Legendary Member
http://press.mediamall.am/?type=english&id=4124

"Orthodox Jew Flies In Plane Covered In Huge Plastic Bag, Possibly To Avoid Cemetery Flyover"

"This has nothing to do with women," user "thenewyorkgod" wrote. "He is a cohen,' descendant from the high holy priests of the temple and they are not allowed to walk into or fly over a cemetery, which would render them impure."

Indeed, there seems to be some precedent for holy men (alternately known as a Kohen or Cohen) attempting to travel in plastic bags to and from Israel.

In 2001, El Al Airlines decided not to allow ultra-Orthodox Jews of priestly descent to "hermetically seal themselves in plastic bags when flying over the Holon cemetery in order to avoid ritual impurity."

What did they do before plastic? :wacko::wacko::wacko:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering

Not fly over cemeteries. :thumbsup:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
http://press.mediamall.am/?type=english&id=4124

"Orthodox Jew Flies In Plane Covered In Huge Plastic Bag, Possibly To Avoid Cemetery Flyover"

"This has nothing to do with women," user "thenewyorkgod" wrote. "He is a cohen,' descendant from the high holy priests of the temple and they are not allowed to walk into or fly over a cemetery, which would render them impure."

Indeed, there seems to be some precedent for holy men (alternately known as a Kohen or Cohen) attempting to travel in plastic bags to and from Israel.

In 2001, El Al Airlines decided not to allow ultra-Orthodox Jews of priestly descent to "hermetically seal themselves in plastic bags when flying over the Holon cemetery in order to avoid ritual impurity."

OCD for the religious. I suppose it helps avoid military service. In the age before plastic they probably weren't flying.

gavintc

Guru
The more you read about religious people, the more I come to the conclusion that they are nutters.

If his 'god' says don't go over cemetries, how does he justify it to himself that a plastic bag is going to help. I presume that this plastic bag allowance - means that he can eat bacon that comes out of a plastic wrapper. :-)

D

Deleted member 23692

I suppose they didn't fly.

But yes they are bizarre. Around 20 years ago, I had to spend the best part of the day with 30ish hasidic schoolboys and formed the opinion that they are 'not of this earth'. The fact that we had possible just saved their lives (long story) was totally lost on them.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
It's only seen as strange by someone outside of the framework that sees such behaviour as normal.
Sorry, can't agree with that.

"In 2001, El Al Airlines decided not to allow ultra-Orthodox Jews of priestly descent to "hermetically seal themselves in plastic bags when flying over the Holon cemetery in order to avoid ritual impurity."

That is weird. It just is. Sorry.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
What extra protection does the plastic bag offer that the hull of the plane doesnt?

Arch

Married to Night Train
[QUOTE 2419092, member: 9609"]Presumably it must say somewhere in the bible that you can only fly over a cemetery whilst in a large plastic bag! (I guess being in a large aluminium tube is just not good enough)[/quote]

Well, obviously, in Biblical times they hadn't invented aluminium yet, whereas plastic...

Oh.

Is it just the one cemetery, or all of them? I heard a story once that El Al wouldn't fly over York, because there was a massacre of Jews a few hundred years ago. No idea if that's true. It would rule out flights over large parts of Eastern Europe I guess.

We've got a Jewish burial ground in York, but it's under a car park now...

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I suppose they didn't fly.

But yes they are bizarre. Around 20 years ago, I had to spend the best part of the day with 30ish hasidic schoolboys and formed the opinion that they are 'not of this earth'. The fact that we had possible just saved their lives (long story) was totally lost on them.

Oh go on, what was the story?

Top Bottom