Anyone Toured on a Jamis Aurora?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi Banjo. Those photos were taken down Barry Cold Knap, is that right?
I'll look out for you on the road, around Barry/Penarth/Cardiff.
My tourer is a dark green Claud Butler Dalesman, just so you know. Yellow bar tape.
All the best. Mark.

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Hi Banjo. Those photos were taken down Barry Cold Knap, is that right?
I'll look out for you on the road, around Barry/Penarth/Cardiff.
My tourer is a dark green Claud Butler Dalesman, just so you know. Yellow bar tape.
All the best. Mark.

Hi Mark.well spotted those pics were in Cold Knap park. I quite often ride down Andrew road in Penarth then over Pont Y Werin bridge .

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
14 months on and I still love the bike. Its carried me 4100 kms so far in all weathers. Maximum days ride 220 kms.

I havent done any fully loaded touring on it but have carried 4 heavy panniers of shopping and it rides fine like that.

Its biggest plus point is its incredibly comfortable on long rides. Its also very sure footed on less than perfect roads giving me confidence to descend faster on this than I would on the race bike. Its a bit heavy uphill but has suitable gears to get you up there.

The canti brakes are ok but not wonderfull. You need to toe the front brake pad in a lot to stop it squealing , this means you only get half the use out of the pads as the back end is not worn much when the front end is worn out. Rear wheel brake is fine.

So far only bits replaced are front brake blocks and one chain.

If I am just going out for an hours fresh air on my own this is the bike I jump on as its just got that fun to ride factor that is indefinable really.

AvonmouthRideNov2013009_zpsbdd9a550.jpg

BetwsRideFeb007_zpsf258e8f8.jpg

Thanks for the update - always nice when folk do this rather than just ask a question - get answers - do a runner - other folks can then benefit from your experience whether good or bad.

In your case clearly good

I liked your comment that you don't give a sod about supposed bike fashion - cyclists are meant to be independent free thinkers, not slaves to marketing/desperate to fit in with this morning's trend.

Did you ever figure out how big you can get the tyres? (sorry if I read the thread too quickly) - if you end up going more fully loaded I can recommend 37 or 38 - really nice cushioning/go anywhere except severe off road. And not actually slow.

With regard to the outrageous additional expense of brake blocks you have been subjected to after your initial purchase :smile: I can recommend along with a few other folks on here the canti pads from

http://www.discobrakes.com/

bought 8 at a time.

all the best

I look forward to more posts.

(I personally don't like drops and prefer More slope on the top tube but it looks like a good non pretentious bike to me)

Top Bottom