Anyone tried pedicabbing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MajorMantra

I'm considering it on grounds that being paid for what is effectively training would be quite nice. Downsides (aside from the hard work involved) appear to be that you are self employed and thereforce reliant on charm :smile: and that you are very likely to be abused by drunk people.

Any thoughts? Anyone tried it? I've searched and couldn't find any threads on the subject.

Matthew

MajorMantra said:
I'm considering it on grounds that being paid for what is effectively training would be quite nice. Downsides (aside from the hard work involved) appear to be that you are self employed and thereforce reliant on charm :smile: and that you are very likely to be abused by drunk people.

Any thoughts? Anyone tried it? I've searched and couldn't find any threads on the subject.

Matthew
Hmmmm. The pedicab company down here in Exeter went bust IIRC. I'd be very, very wary of it, simply because of the self-employed aspect. Plus, you'll have to be hellishly fit and if your body can't take it and you fall ill = no income. If there's any way you can have a go before you commit, do that.

OP
OP
MajorMantra

MajorMantra

Chuffy said:
Hmmmm. The pedicab company down here in Exeter went bust IIRC. I'd be very, very wary of it, simply because of the self-employed aspect. Plus, you'll have to be hellishly fit and if your body can't take it and you fall ill = no income. If there's any way you can have a go before you commit, do that.

The pedicabs here operate on Friday and Saturday nights (hence the problem with drunk people) and since I'm a student I wouldn't be depending on the income - it would be an extra.

Fitness wise I think I'd be ok though no doubt there's a learning curve since it would be quite different to riding a bicycle.

Matthew

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I'd have loved to have ridden in one (as a passenger). I think they are a great idea. Unfortunately the rather unpleasant licensing officer didn't agree with me and banned them.

MajorMantra said:
The pedicabs here operate on Friday and Saturday nights (hence the problem with drunk people) and since I'm a student I wouldn't be depending on the income - it would be an extra.

Fitness wise I think I'd be ok though no doubt there's a learning curve since it would be quite different to riding a bicycle.

Matthew
Then you have a free pass to try them! To the Drunken Badger and step on it driver! :smile:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
there are quite a few in london, and all the riders seam to all be in to low a gear and don't actually ever get anywhere, i would be suprised if they did more than 10 miles a day.

On gumtree theres a company doing weddings that imo is an option which may bring more money in

www.ecochariots.com

i can't get the link to work sorry:sad:

yes i did :smile:

also try rickshawforum.com for tips - good luck

Arch

Married to Night Train
We did a wedding when I was with Company of Cyclists - the couple hired the rickshaw and rider from us, I decorated the rickshaw with artificial flowers and swags of satin and we took the bride and groom from home (they lived together already) to their church. Which just happened to be York Minster. Two of us went along as outriders in case of any mishap/breakdown/locked gates on the cyclepath (we had a key), it was great. The photographer came too, and took pics on the Millennium Bridge.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A good friend of mine is a Pedicab driver in London, and I can tell you that he does far more then 10 miles in a day, but then again he is probably the fittest/strongest cyclist I have ever met. (Aperitif & Arallsopp will vouch how good a cyclist Burak is).

gaz said:
there are quite a few in london, and all the riders seam to all be in to low a gear and don't actually ever get anywhere, i would be suprised if they did more than 10 miles a day.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
ianrauk said:
A good friend of mine is a Pedicab driver in London, and I can tell you that he does far more then 10 miles in a day, but then again he is probably the fittest/strongest cyclist I have ever met. (Aperitif & Arallsopp will vouch how good a cyclist Burak is).
it was a guestimate of course. no doubt one of the better fitter ones would do more, most of them are foriegn and don't look like they have been on a bike for a while.

Do you know how many miles he does? roughly?

Top Bottom