England : Devon Anyone up for a MTB or road ride in Devon?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisEyles

Guru
I've been on this forum a little while now, and thought it'd be nice to meet up with anyone who's up for a ride around my local area.

I'm based near-ish Exeter, and here're a few ideas that should make for a nice group ride:

1) A bimble along the river Exe down to Exmouth, catch a ferry across (good birding on the Exe if anyone's interested in that sort of thing) and cycle back along the other side, cream tea at the end on the quayside

2) A road ride through East Devon taking in the Blackdown Hills (a bit of a steep climb but a lovely route along mostly quiet roads and then again I will probably be the slowest to get up in any case!)

3) A trip to the local trail centre at Haldon forest on the MTBs (I guess most local MTBers will know it already, but it's a good laugh, not too tricky but a hoot taken at a bit of speed)

4) Bridleway bashing on the MTBs across Dartmoor (there's a great short-ish loop from around Princetown, or a longer, somewhat gruelling one that you can do from North Bovey taking in Lustleigh cleave and the Hound Tor area) or Exmoor (not been up there on the bike yet but there's a great looking long loop from Dunkery Beacon to Porlock to Minehead and back again that I want to try this year)

5) Any other favourite local routes people want to suggest

If anyone's interested it would be great to hear from you!

ps - Don't be put off by thinking you're "not fast enough" to come on a group ride - I'm not as bike fit as I'd like to be at the moment and am definitely proposing something on the relaxed side... and will definitely be taking a thermos in the rucksack if out on the MTB (the best excess weight it's possible to carry) or enforced tea stops if we're on the road bikes

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Exeter CTC have loads of events and rides. Exeter Wheelers have club-runs and events.

I'd definitely happily ride with someone, but I'm in Plymouth, and I've stopped being invited to other club/group rides as I'm normally booked up or just can't get up in time.

I'm used to riding on my own, so tend to just do my own thing, but always nicer with someone.

Will be attempting my Plym to Tiverton ride again in the upcoming months (weather permitting)...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It sounds good but I am too far away to join you until the autumn. I am coming down to Devon at the start of September, however, and will be bringing my road bike with me.

Weather permitting, I hope to do a 100 km ride from Chudleigh round the eastern quadrant of Dartmoor on Sunday, 3rd September. I will be doing other rides in the area from the 4th to the 8th. I'll see what routes I come up with and what the weather is like.

If you are free on any of those dates then you'd be welcome to join me.

Top Bottom