Anyone use Broad Street in Birmingham?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
It's closed to traffic at the moment but the Police will let you cycle up it!

Fantastic - it's normally so congested and full of fumes - at the moment its totally empty and quiet - I really enjoyed my jaunt up there yesterday! :smile:

I wish that we could have one day where people were not allowed to drive except in an absolute emergency - it'd be nice to see what it would be like - *sigh*

OP
OP
T

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
That's so funny my brother said the exact same thing to me last night - his name is Paul too!!!

Not sure I would want to catch any of the polititians out on their morning jogs - might be tempted to push them in! ;)

OP
OP
T

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
Thanks for asking!

Yup - been back on the bike for a few weeks now. I've mostly been using my mountain bike on the canal because I've been a bit nervous but recently have been back on my road bike and attempted Broad Street this week!

My hand is okay-ish. It's good for cycling and driving and stuff and is even okay for typing (worst luck) but it's a bit "wrong" for more delicate stuff - you know like my piano playing or holding something that's a bit awkward.

Mostly now it just looks deformed - it really sticks out to the left at a bad angle and it still hurts around the scar and the knuckle - if you knock it or something it hurts more than it should - in fact it really hurts if you knock it! The best way to describe it is that it feels like I have only just done it and it is still really really bruised! Doctors say this is normal and it could take a full year to recover properly!

Got a call from the Police Officer investigating the matter yesterday. Despite the fact that they opened the door without pulling in and without indicating and in a no loading area with double yellows right in front of a bloody corner the Police have found that there was "no fault" on the part of the driver or passenger of the car!

They muttered something about careless cycling to me and then said that "no fault" for me either. End of investigation!

I wasn't expecting them to go to prison or anything but everything I looked up in the Highway Code said that they were both in the wrong.

I suppose the only consollation is that they are unlikely to do it again!

Just got the stupid compensation claim to deal with now!

Top Bottom