Anyone used bromptonbikehire.com ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mitchibob

Über Member
I used when it was very reasonably priced, and before I decided I should just get one. I didn't get through many bikes as just kept the ones I picked up that were OK for a month or so at a time, but I did get a couple extras for couple of days out with a bike-less friend.

One tip, definitely make sure you unfold and give the bike a reasonable check over before riding off as I think sometimes people return them without pointing out they need repair. Examples of issues I've found with bikes with a puncture, one bike with the gear selector chain missing, one with broken dynamo cable. So, check that it looks to be all working before closing the dock door.

Also, tyres might need a pump up, although mostly, I've not had to do that until a week or so later.

One gotcha? You'll end up wanting to just get your own, making it yours, etc ;-)

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Seems a reasonable price. I can imagine hiring one for a try-out, or a Brompton-themed fund-raiser/race/mini-tour/FNRttC... or just for a laugh.

There was a guy who set himself a challenge of riding up Ventoux on a Boris Bike, which meant hiring, a mad drive across France, and returning it, all within a 24 hour time limit. Would be a good Brompton challenge too; has probably been done already.

Edited to add the Link to the Boris Ventoux challenge - Rob Holden. https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/rob-holden1

Tenkaykev

Guru
Seems a reasonable price. I can imagine hiring one for a try-out, or a Brompton-themed fund-raiser/race/mini-tour/FNRttC... or just for a laugh.

There was a guy who set himself a challenge of riding up Ventoux on a Boris Bike, which meant hiring, a mad drive across France, and returning it, all within a 24 hour time limit. Would be a good Brompton challenge too; has probably been done already.

Edited to add the Link to the Boris Ventoux challenge - Rob Holden. https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/rob-holden1
There’s a guy cycled up Alpe D’Huez on. Brommie, video on YouTube. He overtakes a car and an Artic’ on the way down 😎😮

Well ... they deserve to fail before I even get to the (un) docking station.

No way will I go through a registration process like that again. For starters, took me a long time to realise you can't sign-up with a browser - that is a red flag to start with. Then the app was a Task of Herculean Bureaucracy, round in circles to get on. And finally the pain of ID with scans of your Driving Licence. 6 hours since I wanted to give them money, and I'm still awaiting verification!!
If this is the future, count me out.
(Where is my jetpack, hmm??)

mitchibob

Über Member
Well this is partly a test-ride experience!

Thanks, good tips. Do they have any way to hang a bag on them? I shall assume "no". (I can't find any detail of what model you will get)

They have the front luggage block, which is the best form of bike luggage attachment. It's a shame they don't rent out the bags with the attachment too. Switching from rucksack to proper front bag was a revelation.

mitchibob

Über Member

No way will I go through a registration process like that again. For starters, took me a long time to realise you can't sign-up with a browser - that is a red flag to start with. Then the app was a Task of Herculean Bureaucracy, round in circles to get on. And finally the pain of ID with scans of your Driving Licence. 6 hours since I wanted to give them money, and I'm still awaiting verification!!

Ah, yeah. While it wasn't that bad, I do remember they had to wait to confirm initial payment hit their bank account, which was a PITA the first time I'd hoped to pick one up.... they didn't mention to maybe sign up on a weekday, in working hours, etc. It did feel a little one-woman-band operation... lovely, very helpful woman, but not a fleshed out operation. But after that, it was fine, and she continued to be very helpful the couple of times I'd needed to call the helpline. I don't remember any ID scans being involved.

I'd have hoped it had moved on a little since then though, as that was 5 years ago! But at the same time, they are loaning you the equivalent of a £1200 or so bike if you were to buy in the same spec, and letting you keep it in your house, office, etc., for pretty much as long as you keep paying for the rental.

Last edited:

It's a grands worth of bike. You have to expect some level of checking.

mitchibob

Über Member
M3L, with hub dynamo and lights... £650 is just what they expect you to pay if lose it. Again, quite a good deal. It was £750 when I signed up.

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I wonder if any dishonest people wait until they find a spanking new hire bike, report it as "stolen" and pay the £650 to get a cheap Brompton? I imagine a crime reference number is required, but that's not much of a deterrent given the police's well-known "do nothing" attitude to bike theft. Are the bikes fitted with tracking technology?

Top Bottom