Anyone used 'cycle-claims.co.uk'?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rebel Ian

Wasn't sure which forum to post this in.

I had an incident three weeks ago where a guy reversed into me and over my bike. I posted about it in the beginners section on CycleChat. No issue over liability as it was witnessed by two Police Officers.

Having got the quote back for repairs (£397) I spoke to the guy who hit me as I wanted to know whether he wanted to pay direct or me to claim through his insurance. He started questioning the cost of the repairs which I told him weren't negotiable and to be honest I can't be bothered to get into an argument with him. He's lucky I'm not claiming for a whole new bike.

Looking online last night I found cycle-claims.co.uk who offer a free service to recover losses for cyclists involved in incidents. This seems like a sensible option for me but I can't find any reviews on them other than their own site. Anyone know anything about them?

sheddy

Legendary Member
No sorry, but there is a company that advertises in the CTC mag http://www.cycleaid.co.uk/site/home/, and there is also the CTCs Russel Jones Walker http://www.rjw.co.uk/

OP
OP
Rebel Ian

Rebel Ian

Just spoken to them and they seem great. They're going to deal with the claim free of charge on my behalf. I'm going to pay the cost of repairs and get my bike back then let them get on with it.

OP
OP
Rebel Ian

Rebel Ian

I spoke to cycle-claims.co.uk. I looked up the link you gave me and that seemed to focus on personal injury as a result on incidents rather than the cost of repairs. I was lucky enough not to get hurt. It was just the bike that got damaged. They are pursuing it free of charge so I'll let you know how it goes.

Crankarm

Guru
Just make sure that it is genuinely free of charge when their written agreement turns up for you to sign. TBH I wouldn't use a claims company as they are all sharks taking a huge cut. Use the solicitors of cycling organisations BC or those advertised in LCC or CW, CycleAid - Simon Holt Solicitors or there's another good solicitor that Bentmikey raves about. Can't remember their name. But AVOID claims handling companies. If it does sound too good to be true then it generally is. I would go the insurance route.

IIRC you were given lots of good advice on your post in the Beginners section. You never even told us whether the police were going to prosecute the driver?

OP
OP
Rebel Ian

Rebel Ian

"If it sounds to good to be true then it generally is"

Yes, that was my feeling too before using cycle-claims.co.uk

I've just received a cheque from them for the full value of repairs to my bike. They didn't charged me one penny, were ultra professional throughout my dealings with them and have done everything I've asked of them. In most cases you can't get something for free but in this case I did. I'd recommend cycle-claims.co.uk to anyone on here in a similar position.

Brains

Legendary Member
Sounds wonderful, but how are Cycle-Claims making money out of this service ?
No commercial company does something like this for free.

You may not be out of pocket (great). But someone is.

Brains

Legendary Member
As an aside I have had dealings purley as an inocent bystander with the CTC solisitors of Russel Jones and wotsit.
Very professional company, I'd want them on my side if I was ever in a cycle accident

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Join the CTC and use their services. I have used them twice - they instruct Russel, Jones and Walker as someone posted above. Always been an excellent service (and it is effectively no win, no fee as the costs are recovered from the otherside as the TV advert goes - but CTC have one insured against 3rd party claims - so I'm OK either way).

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Sounds wonderful, but how are Cycle-Claims making money out of this service ?
No commercial company does something like this for free.

You may not be out of pocket (great). But someone is.

The same way they all do, they place a claim for your losses and add their fee to that claim.

OP
OP
Rebel Ian

Rebel Ian

The same way they all do, they place a claim for your losses and add their fee to that claim.

They'll have claimed their fees from the third party, same as the CTC people will. The guy had the choice to pay me directly but chose to be obstructive, that's why I instructed the cycle-claims people. It will have cost his insurance company their fee and him, hopefully, his insurance excess plus a premium hike.

Alex Night Rider

Hi Rebel, I also had an accident recently and instructed Cycle Claims after reading here what you posted. This evening when I arrived back home there was a cheque on my postal box. I wasn't so fortunate like you because I had a few bruises and a broken wrist, but they paid for my bike, gear and the injury. I got to see a private doctor at Harley Street and all of that paid by them... I don't care if they rip the Insurance companies which makes the driver's costs with insurance to rise. I like the hassle free and the care they provided me.

CTC instructing lawyers has a good reason behind. Did you know that? They get a commission for doing that but that will all end very very very soon. I did a bit of research because I was curious about why CTC is so helpful and all of that... well check this link: http://www.justice.gov.uk/claims-re...es/referral-fees-ban-in-personal-injury-cases. Apparently the lawyers above will not be able to pay CTC or any other charity the usual commissions from April 2013.

All the best...

The Night Rider :-)

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
CTC instructing lawyers has a good reason behind. Did you know that? They get a commission for doing that but that will all end very very very soon. I did a bit of research because I was curious about why CTC is so helpful and all of that... well check this link: http://www.justice.gov.uk/claims-re...es/referral-fees-ban-in-personal-injury-cases. Apparently the lawyers above will not be able to pay CTC or any other charity the usual commissions from April 2013.

All the best...

The Night Rider :-)
that's not how it is..............

mark st1

Plastic Manc
I don't care if they rip the Insurance companies which makes the driver's costs with insurance to rise. I like the hassle free and the care they provided me.

I do as my wife still owns a car which we have to insure.

CTC instructing lawyers has a good reason behind. Did you know that? They get a commission for doing that

Do you have any proof of this ? As in specific details.

I did a bit of research because I was curious about why CTC is so helpful and all of that...

Maybe because you were a cyclist involved in an accident and as a cycling organisation its there business to be helpful.

Top Bottom