Anyone used leather dyes, or know anything about them?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
My youngest trashes regular bar tape, so I got her the real deal:

1684667653618.png

Now she tells me she was planning on navy blue, give or take, to complement the orange. :angry::laugh: :scratch:

Is there any way to turn that tape blue? So it doesn't look completely rubbish, preferably.

If it helps, it's basically raw leather, with one light application of hide food, so it should be quite absorbent. I think.

Any and all hints/tips and personal experiences very much appreciated.

Sharky

Guru
What's the bike? Reminds me of my old Mercian in that orange colour.

Only thought about dying the tape, is that it might transfer to your hands/gloves, particular in the rain.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
What's the bike? Reminds me of my old Mercian in that orange colour.

Only thought about dying the tape, is that it might transfer to your hands/gloves, particular in the rain.

It's an ancient piece of French exotica called a Le Jeune:

1684671561397.png

I won't get blue hands - not my bike! :okay:

Seriously tho', it would be better if I could avoid blue hands. :smile:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Look for a craft worker who does leather. We used to sub let part of our shop to one and he regularly used dyes. He is no longer available as he died some years ago but there are bound to be some near where you live.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Leprevohttp://www.leprevo.co.uk/ in Newcastle sell leather dyes. They're very knowledgeable if you speak to them. I've bought and used blue leather dye from them. The right stuff won't transfer to your hands.

Sharky

Guru
Really like that colour. Blue tape will be a good match. I had some blue tyres once. That would really look good.

Top Bottom