Anyone watching Richard Hammond's Invisible Worlds?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
mangaman said:
You shouldn't be so shallow Arch xx(

Surely a science themed program would benefit from someone presenting who knows a minutinae about science? His haircut shouldn't really affect your attitude to the program? (only joking really, although I'm pissed off with "celebrity" presenters).

As an archaeologist you would appreciate the thread I was involved in a while ago (I didn't name the bloke, but it was Julian Richards). A respected archaeologist and a very good broadcaster - he told me he was asked by a broadcaster to recommend a 20-35 yr old archaeologist to present a program. No specific knowledge required - just to look non-threateningly pretty in a Riachard Hammondesque way and be able to walk around reading from an autocue looking a bit serious.

Needless to say Julian told them to go where the sun don't shine.

His hair wasn't relevant to the programme, just generally.

I tried out for a job with the beeb once, didn't get anywhere. Judging by the female presenters who appeared later that season, I wasn't good looking or busty enough.

I think Richard Hammond knows enough about science to present - anyway,. it wasn't really about science was it, it was showing off special cameras. It's not all experts who can also do telly. Dr Iain Stewart is one I like - the geologist chap. But Brian Cox, who's also a Dr, gets on my nerves...

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Each to his own and all that.. I really like Brian Cox, and love his Solar System series. His enthusiasm for the subject really comes through on the program ... Richard Hammond... well.. better not be rude about him to the person who sent Henry a lovely teddy .

Arch said:
But Brian Cox, who's also a Dr, gets on my nerves...

Arch

Married to Night Train
ianrauk said:
Each to his own and all that.. I really like Brian Cox, and love his Solar System series. His enthusiasm for the subject really comes through on the program ... Richard Hammond... well.. better not be rude about him to the person who sent Henry a lovely teddy .

I'm enjoying the solar system thing despite Brian Cox - it's the content that counts really. yes,. he's enthusiastic, but I wish he'd look at the camera more - I'm old fashioned (old?:biggrin:) enough to expect that from a presenter.

As you say, each to their own...;)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I think the thing that has got me annoyed about Richard Hammond are those pathetic adverts he does along with the very over scripted Top Gear

mangaman

OK - fair comment.

I guess Hammond just gets on my nerves, so it's all personal opinion.

I agree Iain Stewart is good.

Archaeology programmes do seem to be the worst at feeling the need to fill their "extras" (ie the people doing the digging) with busty blondes in their 20s (probably undergrads) wearing skimpy T shirts!

Arch

Married to Night Train
mangaman said:
Archaeology programmes do seem to be the worst at feeling the need to fill their "extras" (ie the people doing the digging) with busty blondes in their 20s (probably undergrads) wearing skimpy T shirts!

They were doing that 10 years ago when I was an undergrad (but in my 30s). And many old school dig directors do much the same with their 'overall working site' shot. I never got a look in.

mangaman

Arch said:
They were doing that 10 years ago when I was an undergrad (but in my 30s). And many old school dig directors do much the same with their 'overall working site' shot. I never got a look in.

I remember "Boxgrove Man" being discovered and it was a particularly attractive girl who found (I think) the tibia.

Needless to say she was splashed all over the papers. I still wonder if some non-photogenic person found it and they were told to drop it near her area so it would make front pages throughout the world :biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Our dig director's three kids helped out in the last week, and one of them found a metal object. The only one in 3 months.

Bitter? Moi?

:biggrin:

Greedo

Can't abide the wee guy. Would love to choke him with that wee stupid necklace he wears everytime he says brrrriiiiiiiillliant

Greedo

Arch said:
Well, there we are. Now you understand my feelings about you....

wink. possibly.

yawning.jpg

Top Bottom