Anything wrong here

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rapples

Guru
I think this guy new there was fecking great bus behind him. Why should he keep looking at it??:biggrin::biggrin:

Can't see anything wrong with what he was doing. In fact I think he was being pretty helpful riding as close to the gutter as reasonable, at any opportunity the vehicle might have been able to overtake.

Rapples said:
I think this guy new there was fecking great bus behind him. Why should he keep looking at it??:biggrin::biggrin:

Can't see anything wrong with what he was doing. In fact I think he was being pretty helpful riding as close to the gutter as reasonable, at any opportunity the vehicle might have been able to overtake.

:biggrin:

Looking back shows that you are a) another human being, not "just" a cyclist and B) that you are aware of their presance and are behaving deliberately and in control of your machine.

Secondly, riding as close to the gutter as possible is a very Bad Plan when any vehicle wants to pass you, though a bus more so - it leaves you no room to escape when they inevitably pull in too early and you have to avoid the rear of the vehicle.

Gutter sucking also encourages drivers to believe that there is enough space for an overtake when in reality there isn't.

If it was me riding, I would have been bombing down there in the RH tyre track and if the bus was keeping up as I approached the RAB I would have done a circuit of the RAB to allow the bus to pass me safely, without breaking my rhythm or the bus's.

Maz

Guru
Can't see much wrong with what the cyclist did, tbh. There aren't even any comments on that vid berating the cyclist.

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
The only thing I can see wrong is the fact that that video has got to be the most boring thing ever - are people really going to watch that for pleasure?

It doesn't even show the outside of the bus - I am presuming that the bus is the "star" of the show? ..... or perhaps really and truely they are all perverts and it is actually a video of that cyclist's bottom!?

MERV

Well my camera doesn't show my bike but *sometimes* it shows a dodgy incident.
2j69xg6.jpg

Arch

Married to Night Train
the reluctant cyclist said:
The only thing I can see wrong is the fact that that video has got to be the most boring thing ever - are people really going to watch that for pleasure?

It doesn't even show the outside of the bus - I am presuming that the bus is the "star" of the show? ..... or perhaps really and truely they are all perverts and it is actually a video of that cyclist's bottom!?

Well, to you and I (if we were bus enthusiasts), the bus might be the star yes. In fact I have spent happy afternoons at vintage rallies admiring grand old vehicles of all sorts and I've even enjoyed a ride on a vintage bus laid on for a model exhibition - it's just a bit different... But, as in any enthusiasm, there are some real headcases. My late partner was involved in railway restoration (he was quite sane, really, he was in the engineering side of it), and told stories of people travelling on steam trains and collecting samples of soot from the funnel to keep in albums... Or making recordings of diesels pulling a load up certain inclines...

I suppose a lot of them would see the whole campag/shimano debate (for example) as about as dull and meaningless as I do....

That said, I once sat through a talk, illustrated with slides, about a chap stripping and rebuilding a recumbent. At the point at which we realised we were looking at a pic of a chain soaking in Gunk, some of us decided we'd gone too far...:thumbsdown:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Sh4rkyBloke said:
And isn't it illegal to be forward of that line on the bus floor, and talking to the driver?

Tut tut!! :thumbsdown:

Suspect that might only apply to service buses, not special trips - and I don't know about illegal, I think it might only be a condition of travel in terms of the bus company's own rules...?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Can't really see a problem there. Both the cyclist and driver were doing just fine. The cyclist should definitely have looked back more, and not ridden so far to the left on occasion IMO, but all else was good.

Tynan

Veteran
looks fine, that road is narrow, the bike makes as much space as he can when he can, taking a bus like that up a road like is asking to be held up

as for looking back, he knows there's a bus behind him ffs, I bet it's noisy as too, what's to look for?