Anything 'wrong' with this bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
For £599 it's a great buy. Also worth looking at the Planet X website.

Doobiesis

Über Member
The £599 price tag is an entry level road bike price, you would never get that groupset on a bigger make, so if it's your first bike I would go for it. It looks awesome. :smile:

The only reason a bike manufacturer would put top spec on a bike that cheap is normally due to a cheaper frame.

Most manufacturers do it the other way round and you get a decent frame with low spec on everything else.

My theory is it's pretty much the only thing you can't change on a bike. Get the frame wrong, it changes everything.

And I cannot emphasise enough how important it is NOT to buy online. Just don't do it! You have to be fitted to a road bike and that's so important - and free when you buy from shop. I had a Specialized as my first road bike and I hated it, sold it (at a loss) and bought a Giant Liv road bike and it's the most comfortable bike I've ever owned. Specialized have a tendency to make their frames super small, for tiny people! Didn't fit me and I'll never buy another one.

Last edited:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
image.png
Also worth looking at for £599.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXRT58ALRIV22/planet-x-rt-58-alloy-sram-rival-11-road-bike

lpretro1

The £599 price tag is an entry level road bike price, you would never get that groupset on a bigger make, so if it's your first bike I would go for it. It looks awesome. :smile:

The only reason a bike manufacturer would put top spec on a bike that cheap is normally due to a cheaper frame.

Most manufacturers do it the other way round and you get a decent frame with low spec on everything else.

My theory is it's pretty much the only thing you can't change on a bike. Get the frame wrong, it changes everything.

And I cannot emphasise enough how important it is NOT to buy online. Just don't do it! You have to be fitted to a road bike and that's so important - and free when you buy from shop. I had a Specialized as my first road bike and I hated it, sold it (at a loss) and bought a Giant Liv road bike and it's the most comfortable bike I've ever owned. Specialized have a tendency to make their frames super small, for tiny people! Didn't fit me and I'll never buy another one.

It's not the full 105 11spd groupset - the chainset is an inferior one - though ok and the brakes are Tektro which are not brill. Prob a b it on the heavy side weight wise. But at that price...

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I bought a bike online but that was only because I was able to compare the frame geometry of the model on offer with my measurements from a bike fitting. Until you have got those measurements, I'd recommend a ride before you buy approach.

OP
OP
C

Chatta25

Only problem is im no where near the merlin store, i am hours away. In this instance would it better taking the risk or moving onto something local.

The allez sport & elite are both on sale i could look at them locally. Just not as good groupset.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Merlin frames are made by Ridley , cracking bikes i have heard.

if that is true the frame will be nice

@Chatta25 have you ridden a road bike ?

if not why spend so much go and look 2nd hand locally and try a few to get an idea re sizes etc etc any honest seller should allow you to take it for a ride so you get the feel of it before making any decisions , i always try and encourage buyers to take one for a ride before handing over cash loads go on looks only ....

In fact if you are local to Wellingborough feel free to come and try a few even if only for size etc etc

Top Bottom