AO.com

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Just ask the bank (by phone or online) to cancel any direct debit set up by AO assuming the call was genuine and the warranty is unwanted. I'd guess some paperwork will arrive through the post shortly.

I'd also call AO, and complain, explaining what happened. They'll know who 'sold' the warranty, hopefully they have the call recorded too if proof needed.

As above I don't think anyone without the ability to set up a DD mandate can do anything dastardly other than actually pay money into your account. I've given my bank details to plenty of essentially unknown folk when I've sold stuff online.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Being phone by someone legit who then asks YOU to confirm your identity used to happen quite a lot, but I can't remember it happening recently. I remember the practice being lampooned by a TV stand-up on one occasion. I always used to say "And how do I know who you are?", and I expect a lot did the same.

On AO.com, I've used them once to get the items I needed for a newly refitted kitchen. A good discount for the bulk order, and everything was dealt with faultlessly.

D

Deleted member 1258

Has anybody else had any dealings with AO.com?

I've just ordered a fridge-freezer from them. Shortly afterwards I got a phone call from them asking me to confirm my email, postcode, phone number, etc. They then went on about all the benefits I got from buying with them, free delivery, 12 months warranty, extended warranty, etc.

I was then told that they needed my bank sort code. I assumed this was another security question so gave it to them and was then asked for my account number. I told them that I'd already paid and asked what they wanted it for. The person on the other end got rather flustered and said it was for the extended warranty. I hadn't even said that I'd wanted it.

I suspect they're heading for a deluge of complaints from people who've been sold extended warranties without realizing it.

I would have been suspicious when they asked for the sort code and ended the call.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I've bought at least 8 appliances from AO, most recently two weeks ago.

Each time they have followed up with a call 'to run through the order and confirm the delivery details are correct ', which turned into a hard sell for an extended warranty. While I am pleased with their prices and delivery, I don't like being pressured, particularly when they've lied about the true purpose of the call. Do you get 'address confirmation ' calls from Wiggle or Amazon?

OP
OP
Chris S

Chris S

Legendary Member
Got a fridge freezer from them, needed in a hurry, ordered 5pm Saturday, delivered 10am Sunday. No complaints, Currys and John Lewis had no delivery slots for a week. No such contact or questions from what I recall, just paid on credit card, ordered online

I think they need a signature for direct debit no?
I ordered from them because they did next day delivery as well, you can't wait 5 days when you've got a freezer full of defrosting food.
I was also impressed by their free 2 hour delivery slot, which they stuck to. In the past I've had to pay extra just to be told whether the delivery was 'morning' or 'afternoon'.
It's just a shame that the whole experience was spoiled by a slimey warranty salesman.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chris S

Chris S

Legendary Member
Alarm bells should have started ringing the minute they asked for your sort code and even moreso when they asked for your account number, it does sound as though someone has got hold of the information relating to your purchase from AO and they have tried to get hold of your account details in an effort to relieve you of your hard earned. I would get in touch with your bank asoap and tell them what has happened for peace of mind. You should never give your bank details over the phone or by email to anyone.
Fortunately I only gave him the sort code. He became flustered when I asked him why he wanted my account number and soon ended the call.

OP
OP
Chris S

Chris S

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4510446, member: 259"]Did you not pay by credit card?[/QUOTE]
There's quite a big difference in risk between entering your card details into a recognised company website and giving them out to a complete stranger who phones you up. I actually paid by Paypal, it keeps your card details more secure. AO don't have them.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Ordered a fridge freezer that came and it was too big , my fault as MRs ck is even shorter than me so i phoned them up and they exchanged it within 2 days with no hassle and refunded the difference.
Usual extended warranty sell but otherwise i was impressed .

Top Bottom