AO.com

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Has anybody else had any dealings with AO.com?

I've just ordered a fridge-freezer from them. Shortly afterwards I got a phone call from them asking me to confirm my email, postcode, phone number, etc. They then went on about all the benefits I got from buying with them, free delivery, 12 months warranty, extended warranty, etc.

I was then told that they needed my bank sort code. I assumed this was another security question so gave it to them and was then asked for my account number. I told them that I'd already paid and asked what they wanted it for. The person on the other end got rather flustered and said it was for the extended warranty. I hadn't even said that I'd wanted it.

I suspect they're heading for a deluge of complaints from people who've been sold extended warranties without realizing it.

vickster

Legendary Member
Got a fridge freezer from them, needed in a hurry, ordered 5pm Saturday, delivered 10am Sunday. No complaints, Currys and John Lewis had no delivery slots for a week. No such contact or questions from what I recall, just paid on credit card, ordered online

I think they need a signature for direct debit no?

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
I also bought a fridge freezer recently. Very slick, good communications, no attempt to sell warranties, no bank details requested. Twenty minute warning from the delivery driver turned into an hour but still well within promised delivery window.

Leedsbusdriver

Every breath leaves me one less to my last
Having bought from AO.com,i can confirm that you do get a phone call shortly after you place an order. But in my case it was just to confirm what you have just ordered and delivery details. No attempt was made to sell a warranty.

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
Agree with everybody else. I bought from them with no such experience; all smooth and no attempts to sell me anything other than the washing machine I wanted. Call your bank.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
^^^^^^^^^+1
Extended warranty's are daft anyway, things either pack up soon after you bought them or last for their 'service life' which is always longer than any warranty they'll flog you.
Just had a 4yr old Dyson vac replaced under warranty so things don't always fail as described. Still never purchased an extended warranty because statistically you are doomed to lose out on these. Luckily Dyson give 5yrs as standard.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Has anybody else had any dealings with AO.com?

I've just ordered a fridge-freezer from them. Shortly afterwards I got a phone call from them asking me to confirm my email, postcode, phone number, etc. They then went on about all the benefits I got from buying with them, free delivery, 12 months warranty, extended warranty, etc.

I was then told that they needed my bank sort code. I assumed this was another security question so gave it to them and was then asked for my account number. I told them that I'd already paid and asked what they wanted it for. The person on the other end got rather flustered and said it was for the extended warranty. I hadn't even said that I'd wanted it.

I suspect they're heading for a deluge of complaints from people who've been sold extended warranties without realizing it.

Alarm bells should have started ringing the minute they asked for your sort code and even moreso when they asked for your account number, it does sound as though someone has got hold of the information relating to your purchase from AO and they have tried to get hold of your account details in an effort to relieve you of your hard earned. I would get in touch with your bank asap and tell them what has happened for peace of mind. You should never give your bank details over the phone or by email to anyone.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
You should never give your bank details over the phone or by email to anyone.

I tend to agree, although your sort code and account number appears on pieces of little-used paper called cheques.

It never seemed to be a problem when cheques were in common use.

Top Bottom