Apaxiban

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

djmc

Über Member
Apixaban is one of the NOACs - new oral anticoagulants. I take Xarelto alias Rivaroxaban, which is another. They are both substitutes for warfarin, and taken to avoid embolisms. In my case it is for atrial fibrillation. If when cycling you are likely to bleed because of it, then this might be the case, but I would think that he is being over cautious.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
I would guess that your doctor's advice is based on the medical condition that you have that requires anti coagulation rather than the anti coagulant itself - but that is only an (half) educated guess.......so if in doubt talk to your doctor or a pharmacist.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If its for blood loss issues then don't worry as one of the British Pros (for Sky) is a haemophiliac and his issue is internal bleeding from breaks. He's managed OK.

If it's because of the underlying medical condition then seek docs advice.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I think (s)he may be worried about you falling off/getting knocked off and bleeding too much from your injuries!

I am on Warfarin for life and worried about the bleeding risk when I first started cycling again after having had the drug prescribed. I don't think about it now and just do what I always did pre-illness. The one concession I make is to wear a medical dog tag when out and about. It states that I am on the drug, and displays my NHS number, and two emergency phone numbers.

Last edited:

DaveGM

on these at the moment, the doctor told me not to ride as its too dangerous, anyone else had this advice?

I was on Apixaban for 12 months following an ablation for atrial fibrillation. I was not given any instructions with regards to avoiding any particular activities. In that time I rode a motorbike and used a chain saw in the garden!!

The other posters are quite right in that it is to prevent blood clots forming but on the other hand they carry a risk of increased bleeding which could include internal bleeding. Depending on your underlying condition, i am sure your doctors will have made a judgement on the balance of risks and benefits. I would guess that your doctor considered the possibility of an accident with perhaps a head injury?

I feel sure there are many people around the world on anticoagulants carrying on with activities much more hazardous than riding a bike!

Having said that I have no medical knowledge and would advise you to get further clarification from your doctor.

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
Taking it for AF and yes he said it's because of the bleeding risk, I have just been riding indoors since, thought it may be over cautious but thought I'd ask if others had same advice

The wife know his advice so I'm unlikely to get out on the bike as I'll get lots of grief, I think the doctor is over cautious but try telling my wife!

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
If its for blood loss issues then don't worry as one of the British Pros (for Sky) is a haemophiliac and his issue is internal bleeding from breaks. He's managed OK.

If it's because of the underlying medical condition then seek docs advice.
I think you will find he rides for Movistar now. :whistle:;)

On Xarelto as well. Sounds like your doc is being far over cautious. If you come off, you do bleed a bit more, so pack a few wipes / large plasters. Relating it to warfarin, you'll bleed for twice as long as normal, it doesn't mean that it's going to kill you if you have an accident.
I wear a lid as your head does bleed a bit more. I wish I had when worn one when I was chopping down a tree and stood underneath it when cutting down a particularly large branch :-)

Top Bottom