Apaxiban

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Did they not stick you on Dalteparin after the op to prevent clots, I was on it for 6wks after both of mine (they inserted an intermedullary nail to fix the break but after 8 months of the break not healing removed it, drilled/reamed the inside of the bone and inserted a bigger pin)

IIRC Enoxaparin (Clexane) every day for the 10 days I was in hospital and a 6 week stock when I was discharged. (And yes I took them as and when I was supposed to).
Hoping I don't get a repeat later this year as the consultant talked about discussing removing the metal work when I am next back to see him in August.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My sister and my niece have both broken bones in the past couple of years (foot/ankle). My niece needed surgery to insert metalwork to support the shattered bones. My sister made do with a plastercast. In neither case were they offered anticoagulation, which rather shocked me. I told them of the dangers of clotting so they both contacted their doctors and got put on Heparin. Since then, my sister has spoken to someone whose mother died from a blood clot after immobilisation with a broken leg. The woman had not been given anticoagulants either ...

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I wonder if it is driven by the orthopaedic ward? May be some sort of risk assessment?
There were four of us in my bay who were longer stayers. We were all on Clexane from the day of our surgery. Others who were overnighters, or even up to four nights, didn't get injected and were not provided with anti coagulation medication, including one guy with a broken leg and and (same side) shoulder.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
When I was in hospital the nurses routinely gave everybody Heparin. I was the only patient in the ward actually suffering from clots so I assumed that it was a preventative measure because the others also had very limited mobility and were spending prolonged periods in bed.

Yorksman

on these at the moment, the doctor told me not to ride as its too dangerous, anyone else had this advice?

I read this shortly before my wife took me to see the cardiology consultant. She is a haematologist and regularly runs the warfarin clinic. She said it would be to avoid damage to your head. If you bang your head and get an internal bleed, it will take longer to clot. The problem is you don't know whereas you do know if you cut your knee. You won't bleed to death, it just takes say twice as long to clot but, on the brain, that might be significant.

When I went in to see the consultant and asked him about it, he said immediately, wear a helmet and don't go too fast. It's a question of being sensible and you do have to take more care than most. However, even people not on Apixaban want to avoid head injuries and if anyone gets a bang, they should go to A&E. People forget, get carried away, race around corners or between the trees, jump their bikes off rocks or down concrete steps. It's all about managing risk. Slow down.

Last edited:
I read this shortly before my wife took me to see the cardiology consultant. She is a haematologist and regularly runs the warfarin clinic. She said it would be to avoid damage to your head. If you bang your head and get an internal bleed, it will take longer to clot. The problem is you don't know whereas you do know if you cut your knee. You won't bleed to death, it just takes say twice as long to clot but, on the brain, that might be significant.

When I went in to see the consultant and asked him about it, he said immediately, wear a helmet and don't go too fast. It's a question of being sensible and you do have to take more care than most. However, even people not on Apixaban want to avoid head injuries and if anyone gets a bang, they should go to A&E. People forget, get carried away, race around corners or between the trees, jump their bikes off rocks or down concrete steps. It's all about managing risk. Slow down.
Just about to start on this (mild AF), so good to read the above. I wear a lid and don't (can't!) go too fast, soI'm doing it right, or will be when this damn shoulder heals. Will also consider some sort of MedicAlert tag if it's going to be long-term, which isn't certain yet.

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
Just about to start on this (mild AF), so good to read the above. I wear a lid and don't (can't!) go too fast, soI'm doing it right, or will be when this damn shoulder heals. Will also consider some sort of MedicAlert tag if it's going to be long-term, which isn't certain yet.
Thankfully I'm not on these anymore, managed to come off them. Still on blood pressure tablets though, although these obviously cause no issues as such

Top Bottom