Apidura, Alpkit, ortileb seatpost bags?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chaingangclub

Hey everyone,
Going on a tour in January and wanted to get some lightweight storage items for my bike. I've had a look and apidura do a great selection of bags I just wanted to know what other people thought about the kit and if they know any other suppliers that make decent lightweight storage. I got some carradice front pannier bags the otherday but am trying to keep it light at the back with just a seatpost bag. Also if anyone has done a tour using apidura bags and wants to get rid of them do let me know and I'll be happy to make an offer.
Thanks

clid61

Veteran
I use Apidura , however I wont be getting rid anytime soon , sorry ! Very impressed with my kit , especially the saddle bag . Alpkit have good reputation too , cant comment though as haven't used them , but expect them to be up there with the big boys.

Have a look at some of the setups the 2014 and 2015 Transcontinental racers used too, you wont be dissapointed.

Got an Alpkit bag on it's way to try out,it's the cheapo one so it'll be no great loss if I don't like it;however if I do I'll be getting the 'proper' version(maybe 2 if we do our mini 'tour' next year).

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
I switched from Carradice's Super C Saddlebag to the Apidura one this year. Overall, I'm happy with Apidura, but it also has its drawbacks.
Big advantage over Carradice is the much lower weight. The bag itself is lighter, and I find the Carradice stuff unusable without the Bagman support rack, as it otherwise swings around annoyingly. the Apidura setup is about one kg lighter. And while the bag is price, it's cheap relative to what you have to spend for shaving off one kilo from your bike's weight.

The Apidura bag does swing around too, and it looks a bit precarious to. But interestingly enough, you don't notice this at all unless you overload the saddle back.

The biggest drawback is that it's quite inconvenient to access the stuff when riding. I use it in combination with an Ortlieb handlebar bag. Most of the stuff I need during a ride goes into the barbag, while spare clothes and sleeping kit goes into Apidura.

20150813-IMG_1340.jpg

That was my PBP setup which worked really really well. (I later mounted the top tube bag to the seatpost though).

And no, I don't want to get rid of the Apidura kit. I can sell you a Carradice Super C bag and a bagman though.^_^

OP
OP
chaingangclub

chaingangclub

I switched from Carradice's Super C Saddlebag to the Apidura one this year. Overall, I'm happy with Apidura, but it also has its drawbacks.
Big advantage over Carradice is the much lower weight. The bag itself is lighter, and I find the Carradice stuff unusable without the Bagman support rack, as it otherwise swings around annoyingly. the Apidura setup is about one kg lighter. And while the bag is price, it's cheap relative to what you have to spend for shaving off one kilo from your bike's weight.

The Apidura bag does swing around too, and it looks a bit precarious to. But interestingly enough, you don't notice this at all unless you overload the saddle back.

The biggest drawback is that it's quite inconvenient to access the stuff when riding. I use it in combination with an Ortlieb handlebar bag. Most of the stuff I need during a ride goes into the barbag, while spare clothes and sleeping kit goes into Apidura.

20150813-IMG_1340.jpg

That was my PBP setup which worked really really well. (I later mounted the top tube bag to the seatpost though).

And no, I don't want to get rid of the Apidura kit. I can sell you a Carradice Super C bag and a bagman though.^_^

That's the kind of setup I'm looking for, perfect. I'm OK for carradice bags thanks, I've got a couple and the rest is going to be apidura.

I understand you keeping hold of them they do look like the best solution on the market at the moment.

What do you chuck in the seatpost bag? Is it noticeable when riding I.e. Bouncing weight?

Ootini

That's the kind of setup I'm looking for, perfect. I'm OK for carradice bags thanks, I've got a couple and the rest is going to be apidura.

I understand you keeping hold of them they do look like the best solution on the market at the moment.

What do you chuck in the seatpost bag? Is it noticeable when riding I.e. Bouncing weight?

Sorry for digging up an old thread, but...

In case you haven't made your purchases yet, here's some food for thought. Firstly, Apidura are not the only manufacturer of Bikepacking gear. Check out Wildcat Gear, AlpKit, UralTour, Nuclear Sunrise and Revelate designs before you go throwing money around.
Another thing to consider is a seatpack, like the one posted above is a great investment, however it is possible to achieve the same sort of thing on a much lower budget by simply using an AlpKit 13l Airlok tapered dry bag strapped directly to the bike. I've done this, and yes, it's faffier to fit, yes it will probably wear faster, but I've taken mine on a fair few trips now and it's still going strong. Not bad for £15. Oh and it weighs less than any of the "proper" seat packs.

FYI I've got nothing against Apidura kit, in fact, I've just bought one of their frame bags.

OP
OP
chaingangclub

chaingangclub

Sorry for digging up an old thread, but...

In case you haven't made your purchases yet, here's some food for thought. Firstly, Apidura are not the only manufacturer of Bikepacking gear. Check out Wildcat Gear, AlpKit, UralTour, Nuclear Sunrise and Revelate designs before you go throwing money around.
Another thing to consider is a seatpack, like the one posted above is a great investment, however it is possible to achieve the same sort of thing on a much lower budget by simply using an AlpKit 13l Airlok tapered dry bag strapped directly to the bike. I've done this, and yes, it's faffier to fit, yes it will probably wear faster, but I've taken mine on a fair few trips now and it's still going strong. Not bad for £15. Oh and it weighs less than any of the "proper" seat packs.

FYI I've got nothing against Apidura kit, in fact, I've just bought one of their frame bags.
Thanks, I went with the Apidura in the end and can't fault them but like you say there are plenty of different designs to choose from.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Yeah, I'm after a picture of @Ootini 's bag strapped to his bike. Getting that right is the 'rub'. I'd be looking at such a solution as an alternative to a transverse saddle bag (11 litre). But am concerned the access is poor, so it's really overnight stuff or 'hope it's not needed' kit/spares/tools.

Top Bottom