Apologies - car question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Pig

User1314 said:
But car makes an awful shaking and grinding noise when I steer hard right.

Could be a CV joint, but that doesn't make the car shake! Sounds drive-shaft related though. I doubt if this is connected to the fluid loss.

Hopefully the garage will be able to find these faults for you. If I put my car into a garage/mechanic I type out a list of the things I want him to do/investigate. That way he can't say, 'Oh, you didn't say to do that'.

Try it in better weather - sub zero is really bad for cars - they seem to get very rattly and creaky.

If it is the clutch fluid - just top it up for now. It will be a little pot with a screw on lid under the bonnet probably near the brake fluid one that is the same liquid in it (colour of wee). Up until the last 20 years most cars left a few drips of oil or crud under them when you left them overnight.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Proper garage dude......TBH - spend 20 mins going over looking for leaks with a torch - works well, but as it's wet outside, you might not spot it. Leaks are dead easy when it's dry - especially at night to spot.

Night Train

Maker of Things
User1314 said:
For those of you still reading and have not yet fallen asleep.

I came home and took the car round the block.

Clutch is fine.

But car makes an awful shaking and grinding noise when I steer hard right.

Oh - and I cancelled Kwik-Fit and I'll be phoning the local garage tomorrow to negotiate booking it in next week for a once over for peace of mind.

Result: No driving for me this weekend!!!
That could be a CV joint at the wheel end of the drive shaft. There is no oil there, only grease. If it has been failing for a while the vibration could damage the oil seal at the gearbox end of the shaft and that could cause gear oil to drip from there. Likely to be EP 90, has a distinctive smell.

tyred

Legendary Member
Does the car have power steering? If it is low on power steering fluid, you can experience all sorts of strange noises when you turn the steering.

If you get grinding noises and vibration on sharp right turns only, the plastic wheelarch liner could be loose and could be catching on the wheel on full lock. Have you fitted wider/higher wheels at some point?

tyred

Legendary Member
User1314 said:
Car's going into garage tomorrow. "Just in case" I've been looking at car prices. 1.8 five door nissan estates (almeras) with 18k mileage for about £3.2k. Not too bad. I suppose. Could do with not spending the money, though.

It's entirely up to you but I wouldn't spend anything like that. You can can get perfectly serviceable cars for a lot, lot less.

tyred said:
It's entirely up to you but I wouldn't spend anything like that. You can can get perfectly serviceable cars for a lot, lot less.

I agree with this. I bought a 1998 Saab 900 just before Xmas for £360. It needs a new clutch cable and a silencer (both of which I'll do myself), but even allowing for some money for someone else to do the job you've got a rather nice car for under £600. If Saabs aren't your thing Ms RT bought a Renault Clio with a full MOT on Sunday for £480. Ebay is your friend.;)

Top Bottom