apologies in advance..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

trailstar

i know this has probably been posted a lot before and you guys will get sick of it.. but i've been reading so much and trying to find so many reviews.. i now can't make my mind up as i've probably read too much!!!

I have around £2500 to spend on a roadie, £1500 cash and £1000 through the ride to work scheme. I know that the ride to work scheme will knock around £400 off this.. bringing it down to around £2100. But any savings i can make from the £2500 i'd like to keep in the bank! :biggrin:

Anway, i'm a fixed gear rider who clocks around 500miles a month on average. I'm 5ft 10 and i weigh 13stone.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to two bikes -

The focus F3 with SRAM Red and fulcrum racing 5's..
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Felt_F3_2010/5360045907/

The Focus Izalco Pro 2.0 with Dura Ace and Fulcrum racing 5's//
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Focus_Izalco_Pro_20_2010/5360045304/

i'm struggling to make a choice between the two, i dont have much experience of road gears.. so im not partial to either sram/campag/shimano.

Anything you guys can shed a light on would be awesome. Are either of those bikes better than the others? Am i going to notice big differences on shimano or sram?

e-rider

crappy member
If you're that inexperienced I'd think twice before spending £2500. You could get a decent machine for £1000

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Shimano and SRAM use a different shift activator. But if you arent used to one already using the other isnt going to be a huge issue.

I say go some LBS and try all the bikes you like the look of in your price range and buy the one you like best. For that money you need to KNOW it suits you.

I'd consider the above advice too, as an owner of a geared roadie and a fixed(worth 1/3rd the value of the road bike), I much prefer the fixed and the geared bike sits in my bedroom. You dont want to go buying a 2.5k bike and realise you are a fixed rider through and through.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Putting Fulcrum Racing 5's on a £2,500 machine implies in my mind that the frame is Fulcrum Racing 5 standard - ie not exactly fantastic!

OP
OP
T

trailstar

tundragumski said:
If you're that inexperienced I'd think twice before spending £2500. You could get a decent machine for £1000

not inexperience rider, just inexperienced with gears. Rode singlespeed mountainbikes cross country for years, been riding singlespeed for a few years.

But i want to start road racing this year.

OP
OP
T

trailstar

accountantpete - why would you say that because the wheels are cheaper the frames cheaper?

I would have thought that the wheels are cheap just to keep the package at the 2500 point.. because of the dura ace and more expensive frame.

redjedi

Über Member
adscrim said:
Or spent £1500 on a bike and put a spanking pair of wheels on it.

+1 or get your lbs to build up a bike from scratch

trailstar said:
accountantpete - why would you say that because the wheels are cheaper the frames cheaper?

I would have thought that the wheels are cheap just to keep the package at the 2500 point.. because of the dura ace and more expensive frame.

That was my view on those bikes. It seems a shame to pay 2.5K and only get Fulcrum 5s.

Where are you trailstar? Perhaps someone could recommend a good lbs near you.

Before you go any further, and I stand to be corrected, but most Cycle2Work schemes seem to max out at £1k (a very few at £2k I've heard) and you are NOT allowed to top-up with cash. If I'm right in this you will have to adjust your figures.

Bill

Norm

TheBoyBilly said:
Before you go any further, and I stand to be corrected, but most Cycle2Work schemes seem to max out at £1k (a very few at £2k I've heard) and you are NOT allowed to top-up with cash.
Aside from the dodgy moral position in using a "cycle to work" tax benefit to buy a racing bike, the above is indeed correct unless your employers have a consumer credit licence.

Norm

TheBoyBilly said:
Before you go any further, and I stand to be corrected, but most Cycle2Work schemes seem to max out at £1k (a very few at £2k I've heard) and you are NOT allowed to top-up with cash.
Aside from the dodgy moral position in using a "cycle to work" tax benefit to buy a racing bike, the above £1k limit is indeed correct unless your employers have a consumer credit licence.

Top Bottom